Can you help me work out the breed of these 3-4 week chicks?

rachelsian

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
Hi there, I would be grateful for any help trying to work out the breed of these chicks.
My very limited gut instinct says the brown one is a pullet and the black one a
Cockerel. The brown one is a hybrid I think but the black one could be a pure breed. The black one has white wing tips and a grey/white fluffy chest. They used to be the same size but the black one has shot up and grown a rather big comb. I'd be grateful for any opinions. Thanks

I think the 2nd chick, the black one, may be a French Black Copper Marans. Yes it is a rooster no matter what the breed as that much comb at that age yells roo.

The partridge chick is probably a mix. And yes, right now, looking to be a pullet. Still early to tell gender though.

It might be a feed store Easter Egger, but it doesn't have the green legs nor beard and muff and pea comb common to those. Some hatcheries are selling beardless EE's, but they should have a pea comb and green leg. Looks a bit like a Partridge Rock, but the legs aren't yellow enough.

If you got them from a backyard owner or through a pet rescue, they could be almost anything.

But your black chick really has the stance and appearance of a FBCM....little roo.

Enjoy them!

LofMc

I think the 2nd chick, the black one, may be a French Black Copper Marans. Yes it is a rooster no matter what the breed as that much comb at that age yells roo.

The partridge chick is probably a mix. And yes, right now, looking to be a pullet. Still early to tell gender though.

It might be a feed store Easter Egger, but it doesn't have the green legs nor beard and muff and pea comb common to those. Some hatcheries are selling beardless EE's, but they should have a pea comb and green leg. Looks a bit like a Partridge Rock, but the legs aren't yellow enough.

If you got them from a backyard owner or through a pet rescue, they could be almost anything.

But your black chick really has the stance and appearance of a FBCM....little roo.

Enjoy them!

LofMc
x3

Back
Top Bottom