Are Ohio Beauties Extinct?

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
When I was a kid, we had Ohio Beauty Chickens - I can't find anything about them anywhere. I live in Ohio and I have been told this breed was native to Ohio and they are rare. Does anyone have any information about breeding stock or fertile hatching eggs?

Is it possible that maybe the name has changed, due to some cross breeding or hybridazation. see if you can visit with some older folks who may have an idea.

AL

They were a white kind of chicken with black specks in their feathers. I don't have a picture. We showed them at the fair when I was a kid back in the 70's. They layed large brown eggs - if I recall correctly, the eggs had brown specks on them - they were a medium dark brown with specks.

The closest color they look to a common breed today is the Silver Laced Wyandotte - except they were might whiter.

I am not extinct, I just left the state.
frow.gif
OH sorry you were refering to a chicken
th.gif

Quote:
Meyer Hatchery is where I got my Barred Rocks and Dominques last year. The lady there said she had heard of them but they did not have any or know where to get any. I actually live in Wooster so this is a very interesting bit of information - I live very close to Kidron and Mt Hope where the buyer says they bought the chicks. My sister has Golden Buffs and would love to get some Ohio Beauties. If I could find some, I would love to incorporate them into my flock. I've tried to Google them, search for fertile eggs on ebay and look for them in breed books but so far, I have not been able to find any information.

Back
Top Bottom