Are Ohio Beauties Extinct?

I'll continue searching and see what I can come up with...........Also, Craig Russell is the president of the SPPA and would probably be the most knowledgeable on the subject, however he only takes phone calls and can be difficult to reach, but don't give up, he's a wealth of information!!!!

And make sure you let us know what you find out!!!! :)

I was able to get ahold of Craig Russell last night. Had a good conversation with him. From what I've been told about Craig, he's the leading man when it comes to Poultry history, and after picking his brain lastnight, I can agree that he is indeed the man to talk to about Poultry History!!!

Here's what he had to say about the Ohio Beauty-

Some people are confused about the Ohio Beauty and think that it is a hybrid as many hatcheries produced hybrids during the 40's and 50's when the Ohio Beauty made it's appearance. While he had never seen one in person, what he knew about them was that they originated from the Erminette and that is it assumed that a hatchery in Ohio chose to rename them in order to give the public something "new". Many hatcheries apparently did this. They'd take a breed and give it a new catchy name and sell it as something fresh and unique.

That's all that he had, but at least it's a little more than what we previously had!

Most definitely more than what we had... Im glad you got through to him because i was going to try again tomorrow until reading this. I suppose i shall start trying to find a reputable breeder that has the Erminettes around here. I hope i can find someone?

LOL! If you can find someone in your area who has Erminettes, that would be fantastic! At the moment, the only person I know of who has them is Glenn Drowns, but he won't have them for sale for a year or two as he builds up numbers.........

Hi,
Try here. Contact SPPA and ask for a copy of this article.
================================
Bibliographic information
Title S.P.P.A. Breeders Directory
Author Society for Preservation of Poultry Antiquities
Publisher The Society, 1991
Original from Cornell University
Digitized Mar 2, 2010
Article: Iowa Blues and Ohio Beauty
by Glenn Drowns
Page 38
"OHIO BEAUTY I obtained mine from a good friend in Sardinia, Ohio who got his start from a hatchery that is now out of business (he thinks). Tom can't remember the name of the hatchery, but it was a family run operation somewhere up near ..."

http://tinyurl.com/md3onpm
Contact the local Sardinia, OH newspaper (find out from SPPA article, location of hatchery and follow steps below for them too) and check
their morgue to find old ads and info on the hatchery.
Once you have a name and owner's names, contact
family members for info. Ask about sales records and
remembrances on who might have been sold
Ohio Beauties from the hatchery. Follow the grapevine and see
if you can find another remnant flock.
I have over 15 years experience doing research online and for an award-winning author. This really works. You'd be surprised how much families treasure old businesses. You might even get a peek into the original sales books with contact info on former customers who bought Ohio Beauties. As always be very respectful and polite of the families feelings and emotional attachment to these old infos or you will get no where. Been there, done that. Always explain the reasons for your inquiries and the respect and admiration with which you hold the subject at hand. If you have concrete plans for the info, always explain that it will be accomplished with due regards and respect for the original owner's reputation and efforts. Translated: you are out to reanimate a lost treasure, not make a fast buck.
==================================
Poultry Press - Volume 84 - Page 27
books.google.com/books?id=bFxQAAAAYAAJ
1997 - ‎No preview
No info online on content in this issue. Might be a red herring
or might be an ad or article on the breed. Contact Poultry Press
to see what their morgue reveals.
=======================
The Poultry Keeper - Volumes 36-37 - Page 37
books.google.com/books?id=8kVPAAAAYAAJ
1919 - ‎Read
http://tinyurl.com/kx7h8b5 Poultry Ad:
Baby Chicks - Standard varieties. Try some of "Ohio Beauties"
housands for sale. Catalogue. South Kenton Poultry Farm, Kenton, Ohio
Also known as:
The South Kenton Poultry Farm & Hatchery, Inc., Kenton, Ohio. Box 5
Depending on the year, address is Box 2, Box4 or Box 5.
=====================================
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE Miscellaneous Publication No. 557
Washington, D. C.
December 1944
DIRECTORY OF U. S. REGISTER OF
MERIT SIRES AND DAMS QUALIFYING
UNDER THE NATIONAL POULTRY IMPROVEMENT PLAN
1942-43'
For sale by the Superintendent of Documents,
U. S. Government Printing Office,
Washington 26, D. C. - Price 10 cents
http://tinyurl.com/kuqsvn6
Page 49,
Ohio Beauties Hatchery, Versailles, Ohio
They are not listed for Ohio Beauties, but for other breeds.
But the name invites exploration, smile.
============================
The Poultry Item - Volume 22 - Page 190
books.google.com/books?id=ELtJAAAAYAAJ
1919 - ‎Read
4 more ads in this volume for South Kenton Poultry Farm using the posessive "ours".
Perhaps this is thefountainhead for the breed? The hatchery which "invented" them?
http://tinyurl.com/lcp4o77
========================
S.P.P.A. Bulletin - Volumes 5-11 - Page 7
books.google.com/books?id=6l5MAAAAYAAJ
Society for Preservation of Poultry Antiquities - 2000 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
On the flip side, Columbian Plymouth Rocks and Delawares are so similar that at
one time some hatcheries sold one for the other. As Craig pointed out, ... Indian Rivers
and Ohio Beauties are old names for the Delaware. Jersey Blues are not ...
( Karen: at this point, I would ask Glenn Drowns if he thinks Ohio Beauties are only another name for Delawares).
======================================
Biblio only on this volume. Might try locating an early copy at a library via WorldCat
http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch or.... from the NAL ( the USDA's National
Agricultural Library) http://worldaginfo.org/?q=node/168 . At NAL, you have to
order the volume thru your libraraian via interlibrary loan. Individual citizens
cannot order directly from NAL.
Who's who in the hatchery world and yearbook for ... - Volume 2
American Poultry and Hatchery Federation, ‎International Baby Chick Association - 1936
South Kenton Poultry farm is listed in the 1937 edition, just a snippet online, no help, need to read the edition itself.
==================
Title Everybody's Poultry Magazine, Volumes 46-48
Contributors Pennsylvania Poultry Federation, Pennsylvania Egg Marketing Association
Published 1941
Digitized May 13, 2010
snippet:
"Write for names of hatcheries offering chicks from this stork; or ask your local hatchery.
An Ohio R.O.P. farm with excellent records. Some pullets and cockerels for sale later on.
OHIO BEAUTIES HATCHERY. Box A. Versailles, Ohio. By PERCY ..."
===========================================
The Poultry Item, Volumes 42-44
Publisher Item Publishing Company, 1939
Digitized Nov 18, 2009
snippet Page 34 :
•OHIO BEAUTIES No chicks for sale in 1041 ( Karen: 1941 ?) , some pullets and cockerels In Spring
from Barred Rocks with snappy looks, snappy production, excellent record* in
Ohio R.O.P. OHIO BEAUTIES HATCHERY Box 8, Versailles. Ohio AJAX WHITE ...
==================================
Now here is a clue! Check the records of the Assoc. located in the same town as Ohio Beauties Hatchery!
Bulletin - Volumes 12-14 - Page 197
books.google.com/books?id=sUdPAAAAYAAJ
Indiana State Poultry Association - 1956 - ‎Snippet view
"Charm and beauty" will be the ... Taken at the 27th Annual Meeting of Poultry Producers
Association of Versailles, Ohio. (L to R) Ralph Crooks, ... The annual meeting was held
at the Versailles, Ohio, High School on October 22. AREAS OF ...

Best,
Karen
in soggy western PA, USA

Last edited:
Tho the breed is visually black and white, the Delaware is an eb (Brown) locus based Columbian breed with the barring gene. Unlike the eWh locus-based Light Sussex and Colombian Marans. In an eb based fowl, the under fluff is a tinted hue. The top color (white) is balanced by choosing the right hue in the undercolor. In eb based breeds, if the under fluff is not balanced correctly. black stippling shows up in the feathers on the saddle and back. It is possible that the spotting you remember in the Ohio Beauties is a deliberate misbalancing of the underfluff on a Delaware which resulted in numerous and heavier spotting ( called stippling) on the white parts. I would ask Glenn Drowns about this.... or if he thinks the Ohio Beauty is a "splash" type breed which is made by mixing 2 solid color birds ( in this case, black bird and white bird), different genetics. If Glenn knows the original mix used to create the Ohio Beauty, that will tell the genetic tale.
Best,
Karen

P.S. in eWh locus based Columbian breeds which are black and white, the undercolor is white to the skin. No color balancing needed to establish correct white top color. No black colored stippling in the saddle or feathering in the back... unless the black color in the hackle and tail is has too much black and it causes black leaking out in the feathers of the saddle and the back. This black leaking in a black and white eWh based Columbian breed is a fault in the eyes of the Standard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom