Red Sex-link, Golden Sex-link, Golden Comet, Red Star...same breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbirdee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Ridgefield, WA
So are the Red Sex-link, Golden Sex-link, Red Star & Golden Comet just different names for the same breed?
I have a 7 week old pullet and was told that it was a Golden Sex-Link.

yes, same breed. Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets, Red Stars, etc...are all a name for Red Sex-Links. Just like with Black Sex-links, they can be called Black Stars.
wink.png

Here's what I've heard. A Red Star, at least from Murray McMurray is a cross between a Rhode Island Red, a New Hampshire, and a White Leghorn. As for the process -- beats me. Does anyone have any other information?

All are names of production bred brown egg layers. They are different strains develped by different breeders. I raise ISA Browms. They are bred by Hendrics.

While they are all red x white, they are not the same. Almost as many "recipes" or "formulas" as there are hatcheries.

Go here to the genetics company, just one genetics company, and you'll see a half dozen "mixes". There is also HyLine Genetics, a different corporation. It is not true that they are all the same.

http://www.hendrix-genetics.com/sitecore/content/ISApoultry/Products.aspx

* ISA
* Shaver
* Hisex
* Dekalb
* Bovans
* Babcock

I just spoke with a farmer who is selling pullets. She recommends Sex-link Golden Comets, a cross between Rhode Islands/Delaware. Hardy birds and she thinks they may get along with my one stray/adopted guinea cock. He showed up on my farm with his mate and she was killed when she was brooding-not uncommon from what I have studied. I am waiting to spring-time to get some keets so I may train them myself. Have a chicken coop coming tomorrow, farmer said to keep the pullets in for 2-3 days, then they will know where to come back to. Any suggestions? I am a horse girl who is trying to make my guinea-Henri-happy. I am in SW PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom