Will any of these breed sex linked?

Redheadhomestead

Songster
Jul 4, 2022
Nc 🇺🇸
Hey y’all last couple incubations have been rooster heavy. It’s always a struggle to feed them for a few months only to give them away or cull them. I’ve seen some sex linked breed charts floating around but can’t find the one I used last time. My question is: does anything I have currently produce a sex linked bird so that I can determine rooster/hen at hatch.

Current flock:

Rooster: black copper Moran

Hens: barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, black sex linked, prairie bluebell Eggers, and a few green egg layers that we hatched last year that was from our prairie bluebell and welsummer mix.

Any mix yall see that will produce some sex linked breeds? Thanks in advance.

I’d really love to breed our black sex link with the bcm because she already lays really dark brown eggs so they product of those two would surely lay some dark brown eggs!

Barred rock should (solid over barred). If the rooster is barred he passes the barred gene to all his offspring. Barred hen passes it only to the boys? I think boys would have a white head spot, girls none.

Last edited:
My question is: does anything I have currently produce a sex linked bird so that I can determine rooster/hen at hatch.
The barred Rocks will produce BSL's. Decent enough (though maybe not perfect) explanation..

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Even CCL are barred and will produce sex links when crossed to a solid colored rooster.. SOME eggers exhibit this trait like both the OE I got from Ideal last year that were supposed to be auto-sexing Welbar but sprouted crests at 4 weeks old and lay green eggs.

This link states at least one thing I've forgotten but also don't know which breed carries which trait .. which is the whole fast cross slow feathering (or vice versa I'm not sure) sex linking the wing feathers.. Seems more subjective and difficult to discern.. but like anything with practice one may become proficient.

https://afs.ca.uky.edu/poultry/sex-linked-crosses

This following link includes which breeds are silver verses gold to help with red/gold sex linking possibilities.. (I try not to link misinformation, but accuracy must ALWAYS be verified as I see Colombian Wyandotte on both sides of the chart and some white birds are not included because somehow they're not silver based, Probably just missing hyphen between the word buff & Colombian, but details matter)

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/sex-linked-crosses-and-their-offspring/

Hmm, even skin color can be sex linked with dark skin male over light skinned female (IIRC).. also harder to discern at hatch or may take a few days to develop .. and not any (melanistic breeds) included in your flock that I can see stated, so only mentioned for general purpose.

Please note.. I'm not no expert and my mind is a playground so I've already forgotten more than I remember and always recommend using discernment and verifying anything that gets posted.

Happy hatching and adventures! :wee

Rooster: black copper Moran

Hens: barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, black sex linked, prairie bluebell Eggers, and a few green egg layers that we hatched last year that was from our prairie bluebell and welsummer mix.

Any mix yall see that will produce some sex linked breeds? Thanks in advance.

From that list, use the Black Copper Marans rooster with the Barred Rock hens.
Sons will have barring like their mothers (and a light spot on top of their head when they hatch), daughters will be un-barred like their father and will not have a light headspot.

Prairie Bluebell Eggers might be able to produce sexlinks or might not. You need either a hen with white barring, or a hen with the silver gene, to produce sexlinks. You could post a photo if you want opinions about them.

The green eggers that are a Welsummer mix: if a pure Welsummer was their father, they cannot produce sexlinked chicks. If they had a Welsummer mother, or if either parent was a mix of Welsummer and something else, they may work or may not. You can post a photo to get opinions.

Your rooster cannot produce sexlinks with Rhode Island Red hens or with Black Sexlink hens.

I’d really love to breed our black sex link with the bcm because she already lays really dark brown eggs so they product of those two would surely lay some dark brown eggs!
If you want to breed them, just be prepared to grow the chicks for a while before you can sex them, because they won't be sexlinks.

Hey y’all last couple incubations have been rooster heavy. It’s always a struggle to feed them for a few months only to give them away or cull them. I’ve seen some sex linked breed charts floating around but can’t find the one I used last time. My question is: does anything I have currently produce a sex linked bird so that I can determine rooster/hen at hatch.
How many months are you keeping them before you can tell? I would expect most of the males to be obvious between about 6 and 10 weeks (around 2 months.)

This following link includes which breeds are silver verses gold to help with red/gold sex linking possibilities.. (I try not to link misinformation, but accuracy must ALWAYS be verified as I see Colombian Wyandotte on both sides of the chart and some white birds are not included because somehow they're not silver based
Some white breeds will not work to produce gold/silver sexlinks. Some do not have the silver gene, and some do but won't work anyway.

White Leghorns are a very common breed that will not work. They have the genes to be solid black, with the Dominant White gene turning the black into white. Because of what genes are dominant, no matter what rooster you mate them with, they will still produce white chicks. You cannot see any gold or silver on the chicks to sex them by, so it doesn't actually matter whether the White Leghorns have Silver or gold (although they probably do have Silver.)

White Silkies often have recessive white, which turns them white no matter what other genes they have. Many of them actually have the genes to be gold partridge, hiding under that white. Definitely not useful as the mother of gold/silver sexlinks, because you need the hen to be silver.

From that list, use the Black Copper Marans rooster with the Barred Rock hens.
Sons will have barring like their mothers (and a light spot on top of their head when they hatch), daughters will be un-barred like their father and will not have a light headspot.

Prairie Bluebell Eggers might be able to produce sexlinks or might not. You need either a hen with white barring, or a hen with the silver gene, to produce sexlinks. You could post a photo if you want opinions about them.

The green eggers that are a Welsummer mix: if a pure Welsummer was their father, they cannot produce sexlinked chicks. If they had a Welsummer mother, or if either parent was a mix of Welsummer and something else, they may work or may not. You can post a photo to get opinions.

Your rooster cannot produce sexlinks with Rhode Island Red hens or with Black Sexlink hens.

If you want to breed them, just be prepared to grow the chicks for a while before you can sex them, because they won't be sexlinks.

How many months are you keeping them before you can tell? I would expect most of the males to be obvious between about 6 and 10 weeks (around 2 months.)
This is super helpful and after some scouring Google that’s about what I gathered. I’m going to start collecting the barred rocks only! I only need to top the flock off with 2-4 birds this year. And to answer your question usually around 8 weeks we know for sure. Sometimes as early as 7 but we had some tricky ones last year that had us guessing for 10 weeks. Feeding 24 growers high protein starter for 2 months only to find out we had like 8-9 hens wasn’t my idea of money well spent 🤣

Back
Top Bottom