sexing salmon faverolles--still confused (update)

cici_p

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Picked up a little faverolle chick from the feed store on Sunday, that had just been shipped in. Couldn't have been more than two days old. Last night I noticed that I could already see black feather coming in on its wings. It couldn't be more than 4-5 days old! Is it really possible to sex them this early, or should I wait a week before assuming it's a boy? (I am really hoping some lighter feather join in, he he).
What do you faverolle breeders think???

Last edited:
I read on feather site that you can sex them by what color their wing feathers come in at--but it said not until 2 weeks old. It seems kinda early, but I am curious. If it turns out to be cockeral, next time maybe I will wait to buy from the feed store until they have been there a few days, so I can pick out some girls. . .

That young, the girls can have black feathers on their wings too. My hens have some black at the tip of their wings. Two weeks is about right to really tell. In my last hatch, I thought I had all roos, because of the wings, but I got 4 hens! I guess I didn't pay attention before!LOL

I would wait a bit before deciding. Generally hatchery quality Salmon Faverolle pullets will feather in with some black in their wings that they may or may not lose as the grow up. You'll know for sure when you see those pretty salmon feathers coming in.

Quote:
Mine are not hatchery stock, and they have some black feathering, on the tip of the wings. My 5 day old chicks that I have from the eggs of a fellow BYCer have the same feathering.
In the picture you can still see a touch of black on the tips of the wings on the hen on the left.

23788_p1100855.jpg

Your rooster is gorgeous. Mine wasn't feathered nearly that well. My hens were the pretty ones. My bantams roosters looked nice like your large fowl guy though.

Quote:
Thank you!
I would love to see a bantam roo!! I have never seen one! I love that rooster, he is so gentle. All his boys turn out nice too.

Back
Top Bottom