Salmon Faverolles leg feather colors black=boy?

wuzzittoya

Chirping
13 Years
Jul 5, 2010
My Salmon Faverolles are just over three weeks old, and two days ago I noticed black leg feathers on my suspected cockerel. Going through Google searches of Salmon Faverolles pictures, I never find black leg feathers on hens. I ordered one cockerel and six pullets, but over a decade ago the eight Black Austrolorp pullets I got was actually 5 girls and 3 cockerels - so I know there is awhile until I am sure. Much more recently I had a Buff Orpington with heavy comb and wattles, broad, crowed, no long pointed feathers and a girl tail… 🤔

Never was sure if she laid or not.

You're right, Faverolles females shouldn't have black feathers, so it is probably a cockerel. But it's not definite. Some chicks don't follow the rules, especially when they come from certain hatcheries.

You're right, Faverolles females shouldn't have black feathers, so it is probably a cockerel. But it's not definite. Some chicks don't follow the rules, especially when they come from certain hatcheries.
Thank you! I have had chickens for around 14 years I guess (beginning of year fourteen started in March), but never Faverolles. They reminded me of Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas I have had, and I wanted a sweet bird that was easy to tame so I would have a good flock to share with grandkids. A few looked like they had black wing feathers at first, but then as the feathers grew they got lighter and started including a lot of the salmon color in. Today I had him out and I saw one little black feather in his beard, and dark spots where black may be coming in on his chest. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom