Giant Toulose Dewlap Geese

Kenneth Flippen

Songster
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
I have seen a few pictures of these on the internet and I like them can somebody tell me about them? are they easy keepers do they reproduce good are they a hardy breed what size? any info at all will be appreciated also who sells them?

Kenneth Flippen

I have read they need water at least 18 inches deep or more to breed in because of their large size. They also need good size area to forage to keep them moving and this also keeps their legs strong.

my mate has a pair,did have 6 but she sold them....they have a dog bed at the mo because the ducks have the pond (as they'll start laying soon)
i know hers haven't reached they're full size yet or its that they were held back feed wise from their previous home as my 'medium' size ab geese are the same size or mine are just greedy!!!

but if you have a specific question let me know and i'll ask (like if the eggs are fertile without a deep pool.)
i use those shell shaped kids paddling pools at the bottom of downpipe on the house

We raise the dewlap toulouse geese in both gray & buff. They are my absolute favorite of all the different waterfowl, birds, etc. They are just beautiful and massive. I love to watch them. They are very docile and friendly. We do have a few ganders that get a little protective of the ladies during breeding season (which is very short) and then they are back to their normal sweet selves.
All that is needed for them to have fertile eggs is the small kiddie pool aprox. 12 inches deep. Our fertility is great and we have no problems, the small pools are easier for them to get into and get out of.
They are fairly easy keepers, but they do eat alot, but we have alot of them too!
The biggest issue with them is they have a very short laying season. Only about 2 months. The eggs are very difficult to hatch, so due to those 2 issues, it has kept the dewlap toulouse geese in demand and expensive.
They are worth it in my oppinion.
Christie
smile.png

I really like the dewlaps, I didn't realize they had a short laying season. I am curious though, you say fertility is great, then why are they harder to hatch ? harder than other geese ? or is there another problem hatching them ?

Yes, in my experience they are harder than some breeds. Due to the size of the geese. some are in excess of 35 lbs the eggs are larger than alot of geese and the shells are much thicker than the smaller breeds of geese we have raised. Thus making the goslings work much harder to escape the shell. The geese do not do well hatching their own due to their size either.

Hi, does anyone know if there are any to be bought in Texas? Or maybe Louisiana? So far I haven't found any. I haven't been able to hatch any either. I've tried and tried. I just ordered som Sebs from a lady in Wisconsin and I guess my next move is to order some of these from Holderreads next year ( They are sold out this year) But if I could find some around here....Just sayin....

About all I know about them is that they are lovely to look at, have nice calm temperaments, and you can not buy them from hatcheries.

They must be purchased from private breeders or from Holderread, and be prepared to spend some money. Quality dewlaps are expensive.

Back
Top Bottom