Potential first-time goose owner! Does my plan sound good, and other questions.

I definitely agree that female geese can get rowdy especially during the breeding season. I would have a back up plan if necessary. Mine chase my ducks and chickens and have killed chickens. Not all have done it, but certain individuals.

Females will form a pair bond and mate each other if there are no gander, or not enough ganders.

I found the African to be much too loud. Geese in general are quite loud, but can be quieter in the off season. The African never were quiet. They also were bullying one of my pilgrim hens by trying to mate her. I asked if they were possibly sexed incorrectly and was told they sometimes do that to establish dominance. Those went in the freezer. I find the American buff to be the nicest breed that I have tried and more likely to get along with other birds.

With all that said everyone will have a different experience. As long as you are aware of what could happen and you have a plan if you need to separate them out I definitely would try geese. I went from being terrified of geese to enjoying mine. They are interesting and intelligent birds.

I found the African to be much too loud. Geese in general are quite loud, but can be quieter in the off season. The African never were quiet.
What do you mean by “too loud?” As in, they honk all the time? Their honking hurts your ears? I do want loud geese. My pond / lake is ~500 feet across. I’d ideally like to be able to hear them from across the pond, even indoors. I’m perfectly fine hearing occasional honking, but would rather not hear them 24/7 😂
With all that said everyone will have a different experience. As long as you are aware of what could happen and you have a plan if you need to separate them out I definitely would try geese.
If I did need to separate, would it have to be all the time? I have no problem separating at night, but would really like to have both my ducks and geese out on the pond / property during the day.

What do you mean by “too loud?” As in, they honk all the time? Their honking hurts your ears? I do want loud geese. My pond / lake is ~500 feet across. I’d ideally like to be able to hear them from across the pond, even indoors. I’m perfectly fine hearing occasional honking, but would rather not hear them 24/7 😂

If I did need to separate, would it have to be all the time? I have no problem separating at night, but would really like to have both my ducks and geese out on the pond / property during the day.
They sounded louder and it never stopped. They actually drowned out the other 10 geese. I never let them get to breeding season so I'm unsure how bad it could get. My pilgrim and buff get loud enough during the breeding season, but are fairly quiet the rest of the year unless they see me coming.

It was mostly the pilgrim gander encouraging the hen to go after the chickens. We removed that gander and it mostly stopped.

During the breeding season mine will chase other birds away from their nesting sites more vigorously. So you may have more troubles with any inside areas and see nothing on the pond. Just making you aware of what can sometimes happen, but doesn't always.

Last season chickens were laying eggs in the goose nests and weren't bothered. Dynamics can change to both good and bad from season to season. You just never know.

Back
Top Bottom