2 geese or a goose/gander pair?

I have French Toulouse, Buffs, and a Roman. A gander and goose pair hase benefits of fertile eggs. Ganders will looks after their mate and goslings fairly well. Geese can‘t really defend themselves from predators when it comes to a desperate fox or a raccoon so they’ll still require protection, but the gander does a good job of looking out for his family.
Another benefit of ganders is just their personalities. They’re individuals and can be very sweet and comical if you get to know them.

If you spend a lot of time with your geese you shouldn’t have issues with aggression in breeding season. You’ll be one of his flock so he‘ll actually become protective of you too.
Keep in mind that people, dogs, other birds that the geese are familiar with but who they don’t have a bond with can be viewed by the gander as rivals.

My geese are tolerant of my ducks, but that wasn’t always the case. Ducks can actually bully geese and that can lead to the geese eventually turning aggressive towards the ducks. It’s best to keep them in a large enough area that birds can get away from each other when there’s a fight. If they get cornered sometimes the attack doesn’t end, especially if breeding hormones are involved.
At night I keep my ducks and geese in separate pens.

Were almost 1 year into having a duo Toulouse gander and a Buff American goose. Their interesting to add to a flock but be prepared to separate them. Even if their raised with other birds once breeding season hits if theres not alot of space your facing dead birds.

Recently we had to split off our kennel as our gander was keeping chickens out of the coop and attacking those who tried to enter. While it was fine for many months once breeding season started coming up new aggression came from our gander so definately have a prepared option to separate atleast at night.

I am confused about my goose. He is a single. I got him from the fair at about one year old. He doesn't abuse chickens in front of me, but I have seen feathers in his coop like he may have abused a chicken.

I am confused about my goose. He is a single. I got him from the fair at about one year old. He doesn't abuse chickens in front of me, but I have seen feathers in his coop like he may have abused a chicken.

You only have one geese? There's a post about why its not good to have only one..

Here

I'm not gonna attack you about it but I just feel its sad if so. Geese are more entertaining in pairs in my opinion

Does he sleep in the chicken coop? Could they just be his own feathers?
Is there a specific time of day you notice the feathers?
If their not his feathers then I would assume hes being territorial about his coop.

We had to separate our pair away from the chickens because they would attack any chickens who came in late. So maybe chickens are trying to get into his coop to either sleep or lay eggs and hes protecting it.

Back
Top Bottom