Central Oregon

I'm in Bend too

We live inside city limits, so we can only have 4, but that's okay since I dont' think my coop could hold anymore. Are you taking your kids to the re-showing of Mad City Chickens? We went to the first one and had a good evening.

I'm about 100 miles south, in an area of Oregon that doesn't officially get a name - we're not "Southern Oregon" (that's the Rogue Valley), we're not "Eastern Oregon" and we're too far south to be "Central Oregon."

We're on the dry side of the Cascades, that's close enough.

Watching the weather closely - I want to move my 7 week old chicks out of the house (they spent 6 weeks in my office until the fine dust got to me and then they moved to the garage) and it's fine during the mid-60s days, but tonight thru about Friday the evening forecast is for lows in the 20s. The coop is insulated, and I do have power out there so I could have a heat lamp, but I've just got cold feet about putting them out there.

we got a great coop- that is for 4-6 chickens... although we got a few more than that! we ARE in the city of Bend, but our lot is 3 times the size-so i'm figuring what's a few more... no roosters. trying to figure out what to do about needing a bigger coop... and the cold.

we didn't see the Mad CC movie an would love to see it, we do want to go on the tour-we're shooting a wedding later that day so it'll have to be early.

MoSo~ Mine are about 7 weeks now and they went out perm. 4-5 days ago. I put their heat lamp in the coop, there's 4 in there now, but they stayed warm. its been really cold and windy here too, we can smell the juniper the forest service is burning.

Hello All! We are located in Central Oregon as well, near Antelope. We are brand new to chicken raising, and have 10 sweet 3-week-old chicks living in our laundry room at the moment. Thankfully one of my best friends and next door neighbor has chicken experience, and is helping us out in exchange for eggs when they become available. I can't wait to learn more chicken tips from y'all!
big_smile.png

Oh, I forgot to mention, they are a mix of Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Barred Rocks, and Silver laced Wyandottes. I'm a little nervous about our hot hot summers and super cold winters. Any survival tips for the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom