Central Oregon

Yay, I found you! I'm a brand-spankin' new central Oregon member! Well, the brand-spankin' new refers to the member part; the Oregonian part is actually x 51 years now, and the central Oregon part is x 17 years, so not so "new" on those counts. At any rate, this being my first post and all, HI everybody! No chickies yet (*sigh!* Just another chicken wannabe!), but I'm hopeful hubby will get busy and build my coop soon so I can get my girlies.

Okay, off to peruse the rest of the forum. So glad I found you guys! Oh, and I'm in Bend. Went to 7 stops on the coop tour this year, and just took Duane's class for us newbies at Celebrate the Seasons via COCC. Feel like I now know just enough to realize I have a LOT to learn!
roll.png

I have a couple brahmas here in madras, they are friendly, but not the best layers. One sitting on 10 Rhode Island Red eggs now, welsomers and reds are good layers here.
Have fun

Successfully moved 21 chickens 1100 miles north to Prineville, it took 10 pet carriers with sliced watermelon and cucumbers for the trip, and we drove thru the night with the AC on to avoid them overheating, but all of them made it alive! I had alot of trouble finding info on traveling so far with chickens, so wanted to post my success so that future chicken movers can know it is possible. Unbelievably smelly, and at 4:30 am the rooster crow about split our eardrums, but totally possible.

Hi all --

Wondering if Bend/ Central Oregon area chicken-keepers use heated water dispensers....I'm of the mindset that a well built coop doesn't need supplemental heat, with the exception of enough heat to keep their water from freezing. I'd sure like to avoid running an extension cord out through my yard though! Anyone make it through the winter without heating their water?

I live in Prineville, and didnt use any heat in the coops or waterers at all, we just had to bring them fresh water 2x a day, but I got a no freeze hose and it worked great! As long as I kept the snow out of their run, they did great.

I'm in Bend too

We live inside city limits, so we can only have 4, but that's okay since I dont' think my coop could hold anymore. Are you taking your kids to the re-showing of Mad City Chickens? We went to the first one and had a good evening.

I'm about 100 miles south, in an area of Oregon that doesn't officially get a name - we're not "Southern Oregon" (that's the Rogue Valley), we're not "Eastern Oregon" and we're too far south to be "Central Oregon."

We're on the dry side of the Cascades, that's close enough.

Watching the weather closely - I want to move my 7 week old chicks out of the house (they spent 6 weeks in my office until the fine dust got to me and then they moved to the garage) and it's fine during the mid-60s days, but tonight thru about Friday the evening forecast is for lows in the 20s. The coop is insulated, and I do have power out there so I could have a heat lamp, but I've just got cold feet about putting them out there.

Back
Top Bottom