Central Oregon

I'm in central Oregon as well, northeast of Madras a ways. What do you do for extreme temps for your chicks. Ours are only 5 weeks old, so we haven't had any issues yet, but I'm wondering what to do in the summer when it's 114, or in the winter when it's 3 degrees. Any ideas?
FYI: I have 10 chickens in a 9x6 coop with 6 ft gabled metal roof. It has a 12" tall band of hardware cloth running along the tops of the two 9' walls for ventilation (so 18 sqft venitilated area). The coop is out in the open with no shade, because shade doesn't really exist here. I would post a picture, but I don't have enough posts yet.

Yay, I found you! I'm a brand-spankin' new central Oregon member! Well, the brand-spankin' new refers to the member part; the Oregonian part is actually x 51 years now, and the central Oregon part is x 17 years, so not so "new" on those counts. At any rate, this being my first post and all, HI everybody! No chickies yet (*sigh!* Just another chicken wannabe!), but I'm hopeful hubby will get busy and build my coop soon so I can get my girlies.

Okay, off to peruse the rest of the forum. So glad I found you guys! Oh, and I'm in Bend. Went to 7 stops on the coop tour this year, and just took Duane's class for us newbies at Celebrate the Seasons via COCC. Feel like I now know just enough to realize I have a LOT to learn!
roll.png

Jodi * Bend OR :

Yay, I found you! I'm a brand-spankin' new central Oregon member! Well, the brand-spankin' new refers to the member part; the Oregonian part is actually x 51 years now, and the central Oregon part is x 17 years, so not so "new" on those counts. At any rate, this being my first post and all, HI everybody! No chickies yet (*sigh!* Just another chicken wannabe!), but I'm hopeful hubby will get busy and build my coop soon so I can get my girlies.

Okay, off to peruse the rest of the forum. So glad I found you guys! Oh, and I'm in Bend. Went to 7 stops on the coop tour this year, and just took Duane's class for us newbies at Celebrate the Seasons via COCC. Feel like I now know just enough to realize I have a LOT to learn!
roll.png

did you get to my coop?
I'm in Bend as well.
Here's some info on my coop/set up...

my Blog

Sunset Magazine Blog feature

Hi Michelle! Nice to meet you! Sorry to say, I didn't make it to yours, but it sure looks like a sweet set-up! Hopefully next year (or maybe sooner?). Thanks for the link, your blog is fabulous! Nice write-up by Sunset, too; congrats!
smile.png

Anyone here in Central Oregon have Ameracauna's they would like to breed with a gorgeous Quechua Rooster? Quecha's are the blood line Ameracauna's originate from
North American Tufted Quechua are composites between Black Quechua, Horsman Tufted Ameraucana and Puno Altiplano Quetero. They are the best possible composite. This Rooster is from the Litchfield heirloom line of the Tufted Quechua.
Let me know if you're interested in him...
52152_img_9766.jpg

52152_img_9770.jpg

52152_img_9767.jpg

here's his brother (we're keeping him though), just to give you an idea of what they look like...
52152_img_9747.jpg

52152_img_9757.jpg

and some other roosters from the same line...

52152_quechuasaretas.jpg

52152_quechuaroo.jpg

Last edited:
I am in Bend, city as well! I am brand brand new, so new I don't even have chickens yet! But we are getting the coop today. I do know the coop comes before the chicken or the egg!

I am thinking I want to raise chics - any support would be welcomed!
- what are the best breeds for our winters? I want 1 brahma hen - bc they are so cute and I have read about the long island reds...
- if you have raised chics would you mind maybe talking via phone for some quick advice?
thanks!

I have a couple brahmas here in madras, they are friendly, but not the best layers. One sitting on 10 Rhode Island Red eggs now, welsomers and reds are good layers here.
Have fun

Need chicks. Everybody seems sold out. Anyone know of any in central Oregon? Need them now , to put under my setting hen. The eggs she's on now are duds. I think. Been over 21 days.;(

Back
Top Bottom