Central Oregon

Any chance of lavender or blue orpingtons in central Oregon? Seems that everybody around has chickens but can't find local lavender orpingtons anywhere nearby.

Any chance of lavender or blue orpingtons in central Oregon? Seems that everybody around has chickens but can't find local lavender orpingtons anywhere nearby.

I realize you are in central Oregon, and you posted this a while ago, but for *next* year: Eugene Backyard Farmer gets Lavender Orpingtons. They have a calendar that shows when breeds are coming in for Spring. You can call them, and they will reserve them for you too, if you're making the trek over the mountain. There's got to be someone closer though.....

I'm in Oakridge, and didn't need to add supplemental heat to the coop for my hens or the water last winter. There were several nights where the temps dropped down into the teens, but the coop was above 32 F. I have an insulated coop, plus I wrapped it with a layer of black plastic on the roof (because the roof leaked) and outer walls, and clear plastic over the outside windows. Oakridge doesn't get as cold as Bend, and it was a mild winter for us, so it may be different for you.

In a pinch, you could put warm/hot water into a waterer, and put that in the coop at night, when the chickens are on their roost. It probably wouldn't freeze. Or wrap their waterer in something. I dunno.

It seems really weird to be thinking about this, now, when it was 80 on my back porch today! You really are forward thinker!!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom