Central Oregon

we got a great coop- that is for 4-6 chickens... although we got a few more than that! we ARE in the city of Bend, but our lot is 3 times the size-so i'm figuring what's a few more... no roosters. trying to figure out what to do about needing a bigger coop... and the cold.

we didn't see the Mad CC movie an would love to see it, we do want to go on the tour-we're shooting a wedding later that day so it'll have to be early.

MoSo~ Mine are about 7 weeks now and they went out perm. 4-5 days ago. I put their heat lamp in the coop, there's 4 in there now, but they stayed warm. its been really cold and windy here too, we can smell the juniper the forest service is burning.

Hello All! We are located in Central Oregon as well, near Antelope. We are brand new to chicken raising, and have 10 sweet 3-week-old chicks living in our laundry room at the moment. Thankfully one of my best friends and next door neighbor has chicken experience, and is helping us out in exchange for eggs when they become available. I can't wait to learn more chicken tips from y'all!
big_smile.png

Oh, I forgot to mention, they are a mix of Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Barred Rocks, and Silver laced Wyandottes. I'm a little nervous about our hot hot summers and super cold winters. Any survival tips for the chickens?

I'm in central Oregon as well, northeast of Madras a ways. What do you do for extreme temps for your chicks. Ours are only 5 weeks old, so we haven't had any issues yet, but I'm wondering what to do in the summer when it's 114, or in the winter when it's 3 degrees. Any ideas?
FYI: I have 10 chickens in a 9x6 coop with 6 ft gabled metal roof. It has a 12" tall band of hardware cloth running along the tops of the two 9' walls for ventilation (so 18 sqft venitilated area). The coop is out in the open with no shade, because shade doesn't really exist here. I would post a picture, but I don't have enough posts yet.

Jodi * Bend OR :

Yay, I found you! I'm a brand-spankin' new central Oregon member! Well, the brand-spankin' new refers to the member part; the Oregonian part is actually x 51 years now, and the central Oregon part is x 17 years, so not so "new" on those counts. At any rate, this being my first post and all, HI everybody! No chickies yet (*sigh!* Just another chicken wannabe!), but I'm hopeful hubby will get busy and build my coop soon so I can get my girlies.

Okay, off to peruse the rest of the forum. So glad I found you guys! Oh, and I'm in Bend. Went to 7 stops on the coop tour this year, and just took Duane's class for us newbies at Celebrate the Seasons via COCC. Feel like I now know just enough to realize I have a LOT to learn!
roll.png

did you get to my coop?
I'm in Bend as well.
Here's some info on my coop/set up...

my Blog

Sunset Magazine Blog feature

Hi Michelle! Nice to meet you! Sorry to say, I didn't make it to yours, but it sure looks like a sweet set-up! Hopefully next year (or maybe sooner?). Thanks for the link, your blog is fabulous! Nice write-up by Sunset, too; congrats!
smile.png

Anyone here in Central Oregon have Ameracauna's they would like to breed with a gorgeous Quechua Rooster? Quecha's are the blood line Ameracauna's originate from
North American Tufted Quechua are composites between Black Quechua, Horsman Tufted Ameraucana and Puno Altiplano Quetero. They are the best possible composite. This Rooster is from the Litchfield heirloom line of the Tufted Quechua.
Let me know if you're interested in him...
52152_img_9766.jpg

52152_img_9770.jpg

52152_img_9767.jpg

here's his brother (we're keeping him though), just to give you an idea of what they look like...
52152_img_9747.jpg

52152_img_9757.jpg

and some other roosters from the same line...

52152_quechuasaretas.jpg

52152_quechuaroo.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom