Central Oregon

North Central OR here, brand new to chicken raising, but excited to begin to use the massive coop our new-to-us farm homestead came with. Seriously - it was built as a 5-star hen resort, but has been neglected for years. There are 14 nesting boxes and as many rows to roost! Also has a fully enclosed run!

First pic is part way through our mucking-out-spree. It's all cleaned out now and ready to disinfect and (eventually) house some hens!

I currently have 4 chicks that are 2.5 weeks-ish old and a shipment of 10+ babies coming tomorrow. Prepping to move the whole crew to a larger brooder (old horse through) setup in the coop with heat lamps. Admittedly, I'm nervous to put them in the coop so soon, (even with heat lamps and a small heated hover), since we lost two chicks already. But I'm told by all the locals chicken folks that they'll be fine.
1f62c.png
How do you all handle chicks/brooder/COR temperatures?

Also wondering if anybody in a more rural setting covered their run? I know they won't be out in the run for quite a few weeks, but I'm really debating that, since so many people free-range and do fine? How do I know if I need one?

But mostly checking in and saying hi!

That is awesome you inherited such a great setup! We are somewhat rural Tumalo (5acres) and my babies were in a horse trough for the first 5-6 weeks. We finally got the coop finished and moved them out last weekend. We had below freezing temps Sun and Monday nights and they've survived with no heat lamps. I did wean them slowly from the heat lamp in the garage though. I would turn it off during the day and turn it on at night for a while then turned it off completely for a while. They love their new digs! Lots more room!
We got 9 more babies last weekend too, so they are now in the horse trough. 16 total now
1f633.png
. This is our first foray into chickens but loving it so far! The big girls even put themselves to bed tonight after free ranging a few hours.
We will cover a portion of our run closest to the coop (run isn't finished yet) just due to the amount of snow we get. I want them to have a bit of snow free space!
Welcome to CO chicken raising!!!

Awesome! I have a close friend that lived outside Tumalo for several years. Love that area.

Good to hear they're doing well! I will remember the lamp weaning thing, and have planned to, but am now a bit unsure of logistics there since I have two sets about two weeks apart? But, it's getting warmer, so we will figure it out I'm sure. My coop is fully enclosed but not insulated, so a little space heater will help it not be such a drastic shift. We shall see....

Awesome! I have a close friend that lived outside Tumalo for several years. Love that area.

Good to hear they're doing well! I will remember the lamp weaning thing, and have planned to, but am now a bit unsure of logistics there since I have two sets about two weeks apart? But, it's getting warmer, so we will figure it out I'm sure. My coop is fully enclosed but not insulated, so a little space heater will help it not be such a drastic shift. We shall see....

We love it out here too! Bend is getting a bit big for our liking but it's home.
1f604.png

Be careful with lamps or space heaters. A lady on here lost her coop and had some burned chickens due to a space heater.
We are going to finish the run in the beautiful warm weather this weekend! So excited for them to be able to be out all day, everyday. It will be interesting when my littles are ready to move how that will go. We shall see. Good luck!

New to Central Oregon and getting ready to haul my 20 chickens on a 2 day journey from Southern CA to Prineville. Need to construct the proper chicken house for them, any tips on things I need to consider differently in constructing one in this northern climate?

Successfully moved 21 chickens 1100 miles north to Prineville, it took 10 pet carriers with sliced watermelon and cucumbers for the trip, and we drove thru the night with the AC on to avoid them overheating, but all of them made it alive! I had alot of trouble finding info on traveling so far with chickens, so wanted to post my success so that future chicken movers can know it is possible. Unbelievably smelly, and at 4:30 am the rooster crow about split our eardrums, but totally possible.

Does anyone know the ordinances in Prineville?

From what I can tell, it depends on what your property is zoned as and how much property you have, I went down to city hall planning department and asked for the info. I think you can look it up on the website though if you know what your property is zoned as.

Any chance of lavender or blue orpingtons in central Oregon? Seems that everybody around has chickens but can't find local lavender orpingtons anywhere nearby.

Any chance of lavender or blue orpingtons in central Oregon? Seems that everybody around has chickens but can't find local lavender orpingtons anywhere nearby.

I realize you are in central Oregon, and you posted this a while ago, but for *next* year: Eugene Backyard Farmer gets Lavender Orpingtons. They have a calendar that shows when breeds are coming in for Spring. You can call them, and they will reserve them for you too, if you're making the trek over the mountain. There's got to be someone closer though.....

Back
Top Bottom