Madison County, AL? -- Legal in county, but deed restricted :(

gbeauvin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Is anyone out there keeping chickens in Madison County? I'm trying to figure out the legality of chickens where I live... I know huntsville allows them, Madison city does not... but we're up in Toney which I think is really just unincorporated Madison County (we have a post office, whee!). I emailed the county comissioner, but he punted to health department? I haven't called them yet because it makes no sense to me, but I suppose I should. I also emailed animal control asking if chickens count as pets
smile.png

I looked online trying to find zoning regs but failed miserably.

thanks!

-GB

Last edited:
I just re-read the reply from the comissioner, and I get the impression he thinks I'm wanting to complain about someone else's chickens but trying to get my chicks in a row first
roll.png

-GB

I found my answer... All good with the county. Not so good with the subdivision.

deed_restriction.jpg

So... unincorporated Madison County (AL) is go for chickens, unless you live in a subdivision with deed restrictions
sad.png

-GB (legal, but chickenless)

welcome-byc.gif

haha.. I love your post! You're just on here talking to yourself!
gig.gif

I live in lower AL, so I'm not much help. We live near many cities but have farmland all around and we are not zoned.... so.... chickens are legal for me.
I don't think I would ask or look into it to find out.

Someone here in WI is keeping ducks that has a very similarly worded code where she lives. She maintains that since some of her neighbors let their dogs have puppies and sell them that she is entitled to her ducks. I myself have a few "house chickens" that are strictly pets...you CAN keep pets in the house per your rule....I say go for it! Not any different than keeping a parrot. Terri O

I live in the county and it is legal to have chickens. Our subdivision is ok with it also. I recently gave my rooster away because we didn't want to distrub the neighbors, but I know the lady a couple of streets over has a rooster and I hear another one close by some times.

Where did you hear that Madison does not allow chickens? From what I've found online, the City of Madison has no restrictions for keeping chickens. It was on a Madison County website. There is actually a house right beside my kids' school that has about 6 or 7 hens. I've already ordered mine, and our neighborhood is an older one in Madison with no HOA.

How do you know that it is legal to have chickens in the city of Madison,AL? I have not been able to find any regulations, and a friend was told by animal control that she can't have them.

Back
Top Bottom