Predators and pests, both describe my neighbors

dragonlair

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Maine
But I can't prove it.

My neighbors hate my farm. The same farm that was here long before most of those neighbors bought their houses across the street from me. I have been in[ected and visited by every official from the State and town, several times, and was found to be within all laws and rules and standards. My animals are all fat and healthy.

I had hens, but trying to be a nice neighbor, I did not have roos. That all ceased last fall when the neighbors cat killed one of my layers. Because it was a solid black cat, I didn't know which if the 3 neighbors who owned black cats it belonged to so I couldn't do much. To protect my hens, I got a big, protective Barred Rock (cross) roo. He did great at keeping the cats away. However, he crows. He crows all day and most of the night. The coop is not too far from my bedroom window. After the first couple of nights, I don't really hear him any more. (I also got a bantam frizzle Cochin roo, but he is quiet most of the time)

So, last week I moved my chicken pens around. The adult chickens are divided up between 2 large chain link dog kennels. I had the 4 layers and the roo in one and the 2 Frizzle bantam Cochins and 2 Polish in the other.

To make sure I have no escapes, all the dog, goat, horse and chicken pens are extra securely latched. I use snaps under the latch on the chain link kennels for the chickens and dogs so the handle cannot be opened by non-human critters.

Before I go to work each afternoon, I make one final round to make sure ALL the gates are locked. I do this without fail.

So, imagine my surprise when I came home from work the other night (2330 hrs) to find the layers gate open wide and the snap gone. Even more surprising is the fact that the 4 hens were sleeping in their little hen house, but the roo was gone. I looked all over for him... MIA.

Then I saw the evidence...I found 4 barred feathers (he being the only barred bird on the place) in the driveway, in a trail leading to the road. Hmmmmm......not exactly furry or feathered predator behavior or signs. In all the other attacks, there have been feathers everywhere, like an explosion. That, combined with the fact that it was just the roo and the snap/lock was missing leads me to believe that it was the 2 legged, human type of pest that got my poor Roo.

I called my local ACO, who also happenes to be the chief Constable in town. We are playing phone tag at the moment but he is very familiar with the problems and harassment I have had from my neighbors and will take this very seriously.

I guess the hunt for a new roo is on, or maybe I will wait until later this fall when the windows are closed. sigh. He was such a gorgeous roo, all bars with a few splotches of deep red.

Human predators are the worst. Too bad I can't shoot them.

I'm so sorry you have such miserable neighbors, frankly, I'd recommend getting a dozen roosters and a video system that can see in the dark. Catch them in the act, then set loose a very large, scary dog! (just kidding about the dog)

We had a problem with the neighbor kids coming to visit the rabbits when we weren't home, then accidentally feeding them local plants that were poisonous. Lost three rabbits that way (sigh). We finally caught one of them and put the fear of God in her, so she hasn't been back. We were considering putting locks on the gates, which we may still do.

I am so sorry. People are so mean and dishonest, it is disgusting.

We had four hens go missing and that is when I revamped our set up. The coop is now in a 5' high fenced 1/2 acre area. During the day the girls have free range of that area. At night after I lock the girls in with padlocks on their doors, I open the connecting gate to my dog area and my three dogs then have the run around the coop area. It helps with the human and predator issues as neither wants to meet with my three dogs or me after I hear them bark.

Sounds like you need a padlock, not just a snap lock
video or game cam/hidden
definately get a new roo immediately
get 2
after you have the padlocks and game cam
it's trespassing and theft and harm to animals
they have absolutely NO right to come onto your property much less steal your animals.
completely out of line on their part. gotta be illegal.
if you are zoned farm live it up
they can move or get double paned windows or get over it
so sorry for your trouble

A large scary looking dog is a good idea--just make sure it does not become a predator. And I agree that you should replace your rooster with at least one more, but also consider getting a few small ones--the kind that are really, really screetchy. For the large rooster, consider getting a long crower. Also, rather than snaps, consider padlocking the chain link gates. If you haven't already, post No Trespassing signs, and get some motion activated security lights. And a surveillance camera.

Isn't amazing how city folks want to move to a farm area and then try to turn it into a city, if you want peace and quite then stay in the city were the popo can make sure you have it.

Sorry you are going threw this, but i do understand how you feel, i have lived on this 100 acres for 30 years and believe it or not i now have a neighbor problem.

Just can't seem to get away from the city folks problems even in the country.

Last edited:
you need to get some geese and turn them loose on you property when you are gone heck even when you are not,if you place is completely fenced that is.

i see you have alot of dogs seems like they would make alot more noise than 1 roo,and how would one get past all your dogs.

Last edited:
I have 9 BIG dogs, but they are penned up or in the house. I have to padlock the dog pens because someone turned them loose one day. If it weren't for the dogs I'd be getting some nasty tempered geese and let them patrol my yard.

I'm looking for a camera, but money is beyond tight, I am recovering from being out of work for 4 years and not much money for extra's.

I am going to get some guinea chicks to raise up, I love their voices, but I know the neighbors will not. I think I will wait on the roo until i can make sure it will be safe.

I was considering surrounding my animal pens with large leg hold traps hidden in deep grass to catch any 2 legged predators!

Quote:
this is not a good idea( the trap) but if you dug a poo pit and covered it with some type of cover that may prove to be interesting

OH! A POO PIT !!!!! I like the way you think!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Check for a motion camera on e-bay or on Craig's List. Even a motion sensor light aimed at the gate would be a suprise.

OR, You might consider putting a bell on the gate and hiding a baby monitor unit nearby. Put the receiver in your bedroom. When you hear the bell, sneak out there and scare the BE-JEEPERS out of them!!!

Radio Shack has a sensor that goes across a driveway to let you know when some one crosses the beam. You could rig that up across the door to the enclosure and put the alarm in your bedroom. When you hear the signal......well, you know the rest.

Don't let these mean spirited criminals win !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom