Neighbor called to say we have a bob cat!

McChooky

Free Ranging
Nov 11, 2020
Appalachian Mountains
I've had this eerie feeling somethings been watching my chickens and geese all week so I've been letting them out late and locking them up earlier than usual. I've also been spending more time with them outside and looking for clues in case anything was around. My chickens have only been laying 1/2 the # eggs they usually lay, my geese are trying to sleep in the run instead of the coop, my dogs have all but stopped going outside except to potty and I heard twigs snapping in the woods above the yard where the chickens free range a couple times but both times it went silent afterward. Well today my neighbor called to say he received a phone alert that showed a bob cat was drinking from the creek beside his house so I guess I know now what that uneasy feeling was and why. I'm hoping my neighbor will send me a picture later and if he does I'll post it here.For now my chickens and geese are in lock down until we figure out what to do about this bob cat.(He lives less than 150 feet from me and the creek is closer to my house)

Glad the bobcat was spotted before it got any of your birds! What size are your dogs?
I have one dog the size of of cocker spaniel and the others a basset hound.
My dogs have full access to my fenced yard 14-16 hrs a day and are locked out during the day when the chickens free range.I vary when I let my chickens out and lock them up. Predators have a better chance of catching my chickens in the middle of the day while I'm at my brothers cleaning his office next door .(Thats where I was today)!

You mentioned living by a creek. So do I. They're likely following along the creek for water and to look for any easy prey to nab, so best to keep your flock contained for the time being. We've had at least 3 bobcat sightings (2 I saw, 1 was spotted by my in laws) but none of them have tested the run fence or caused any problems thus far. As I have larger dogs (35, 65, and an Anatolian mix at 90 lbs) we let the bigger dogs out to chase off intruders when possible.

so what state do u live in? Did your neighbor catch him on a game camera?
Southern West Virginia .That's very likely the kind of camera he has(because he hunts) but he also has his own business and installs fiber optics so he could be using another type that sends alerts.He's supposed to post a picture of it on Facebook for my brother since I don't use Facebook. Bob cats are bad here so most people raise game chickens

I live in Central Arkansas. I understand what your going through. I've had a couple foxes driving me bonkers for months. I have 2 security cameras and have caught him numerous times. In AR you have to have to have a permit...not a reason to trap or take coyotes, fox, or Bobcat In a season. If they are threatening my property im still "Unable" to just shoot them unfortunately. Winkwink

Back
Top Bottom