!!!URGENT!!! Neighbors dog killed all of my ducks. This is not the first time.

Pics

hannnnnah

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
Hello. I haven’t been online in a few months because everything was going wonderfully. My babies were nearly a year old.

Earlier today we saw my neighbors dog walking off with our male duck hanging out of its mouth.

Long story short, this the third time something like this has happened. The dog killed an entire group of chickens a few years back and then killed 2/3 of our replacements.

Our neighbors agreed to keep the dog on a shock collar and they’ve warned us once when then dog has went missing so we can keep an eye out. No issues because we were able to lock everyone up in the barn. However, today the owner knowingly let the dog run loose without a collar and now my four ducks are dead.

The last time this happened, we contacted animal control and they told us there was nothing they could do and we would have to handle it privately. Our neighbor “paid us off” with a $50 gift card and after contacting her today, she offered to pay again. However, this does not fix the issue. My pets are dead, they refuse to take responsibility for their pet, and we have other animals that could potentially be at risk.

For context, we live in KY and not in city limits. Our animals are not free roam and stay in the barn or a fenced in area. The dog get in the fence each time. Not sure how, but he does. We’ve checked so many times to figure out how this dog has access and we couldn’t figure it out. It wasn’t an issue when the dog was on a collar.

Sorry for being so scattered because I’m very upset. I just need to know what I should do. I’m 20 and autistic, so I have a very hard time confronting people. Plus, I have never dealt with something like this.

The last time this happened, we contacted animal control and they told us there was nothing they could do
I would call again. What's the point of animal control if they can't do anything? This is destruction of property at the least. If you get the same answer, call the Sheriff's Department.

I'm so sorry about your ducks.

No! - Electric fences are designed to keep the birds in! No electric fence will keep a dedicated dog out, especially not a dog that has developed a taste for duck.
I disagree with you. I used Premier 1 electric net fencing for my sheep and it kept out the dogs and coyotes. Their product is better than what you would pick up at the Tractor Supply Store. It is also more expensive. They even have solar. There are options. Raise some guineas along with the ducks. They will scream bloody murder if the dog comes over in the day. Mine once alerted me to 5 dogs getting into my sheep pen. (The fence wore out after 10 years and I had not replaced it yet. They dug under the woven wire.) The guineas don't have to be in the same pen as the ducks just in visual range. I would say SSS (shoot, shovel and shut up) but if you have no familiarity with fire arms that's not a good idea. We did effectively dissuade a pair of dogs by using a paint ball gun and freezing the paint balls. They didn't return. Either it scared the dogs too badly or it scared their owners that people were shooting at them and might start using real ammo. I feel you for the anxiety though. I hope you find an answer that works for you best.

Back
Top Bottom