All Hens killed by Dog

if you don't want to kill the dogs just shoot them with an airsoft or bbgun as I understand some of you are dog lovers
or shoot them with a bow but make sure the arrow isn't a hunting bolt if you can teach them a lesson better do it right?
I strongly recommend that anyone should check their own laws (including state laws if they're in the USA) before shooting any dog with anything.

In some places, it is legal to kill a dog, but illegal to shoot the dog with something non-lethal. Laws against being cruel to animals are the ones most likely to block the non-lethal methods, while laws about protecting livestock are the ones most likely to give explicit permission for killing a dog.

(My point is about checking laws to see what is legal, not about which thing is actually more or less cruel.)

A dog attacked my hen and she fought it off but it was my dog who may be over 60 pounds idk
We kept a sick hen in our bedroom 3 weeks and neither of my hounds lifted a paw to hurt her.She had the run of the house a couple hrs a day and walked to and fro past my dogs as they slept in the floor beside her. We laid cardboard boxes down on he floor so she didn't stay in the cage.Any dog that's obedience trained can be trained not to kill chickens but you can't leave them alone with your chickens or give them access to your chickens until they're fully trained.It took me 2 years to train mine.

We kept a sick hen in our bedroom 3 weeks and neither of my hounds lifted a paw to hurt her.She had the run of the house a couple hrs a day and walked to and fro past my dogs as they slept in the floor beside her. We laid cardboard boxes down on he floor so she didn't stay in the cage.Any dog that's obedience trained can be trained not to kill chickens but you can't leave them alone with your chickens or give them access to your chickens until they're fully trained.It took me 2 years to train mine.
The dog is going away she killed three hens last Friday

I had 2 speckled Sussex 26 months, 2 easter eggers 5 years old, three 26 month barred rocks. Neighbors dog has repeatedly dug under my fence past year and a half to run on my property and I have warned him to control them. I warned him of my livestock. His dogs came on my property and I was alerted by security cam. I texted him to get them and he couldn't find them he said. Then I got horrible alerts from the coop security cam of his Husky killing my hens in their coop. The dog ripped off the side of the run (1/4 inch hardware cloth secured by industrial staples and a board and got in. Then shoved through the automatic door and got into the coop. The coop and run have been proof against racoons, bobcats, coyotes, and a fox for 5 years. It was secure we thought. It has 18 inches of hardware cloth dug out from the concrete barrier at the edges.
The Sheriff came and reported an event. Humane law enforcement came. I am to contact them in 2 days. She termed the dogs a "public nuisance" which I think will result in restrictions on him and how he confines them. I have pictures of everything, even, unfortunately very clear photos of his Husky killing them all.
I am starting to get past the shock, horror, and rage, and just crying and waking up at night and trying to organize my mind what action to take.
I am making a list of damages to give to my lawyer and will purse the dog owner in small claims court.
If anyone can think of anything to add to damages or any experience that will help please let me know. I am in southern CA, and we have fairly strict laws about this, especially when it includes killing to livestock, which includes chickens.
By the way, the dog just killed them and went off and left them laying in a pile.
I am so, so angry and so sad. My husband loved them, too. He built the coop and run and put his back into making them safe and comfortable. One irresponsible person caused this. It did not have to happen.
I am thinking no more chickens. Then I am thinking put in a barrier with electrical wire. That dog will come back, I think

If this happened to my chickens I would have executed that dog.
It actually did happen to mine. I was did not witness it but a couple of workers who were on the property at the time heard the commotion and ran to my backyard to witness and threw rocks at the dogs to chase them away.
Next day I saw two of the three dogs back on my property and shot the biggest one. Too bad my .22 is a single shot.

Back
Top Bottom