Caught and Relocated a Raccoon

Pics

Captain13

Songster
Sep 6, 2022
Kathleen, Ga
I saw a raccoon going up a tree near my coop last evening. Out came the Havahart Raccoon Trap, baited with dry dog food and a few marshmallows. This morning, the new inmate was resting securely in the trap. I loaded him up in the truck and took him out in the country and released him with a warning not to come back because I might not be so nice next time.

I keep having people releasing varmints by me. I don't understand why people think it's ok to give their problems to someone else. They say they didn't see the house because of the trees. In less than 4 years I have gotten 105 raccoons about the same in opossum. Along with chipmunk and pine squirrels that have caused damage to my vehicles.

Be careful -- relocating a raccoon may not be legal.

Raccoons are a big nuisance here. If I trap one, I feed it a lead pill. They get buried in my garden to enrich the soil. That is the only benefit they give me.

If you do this, be sure to bury them deep, say, 2 feet or more, so that other critters don't dig them up.

I understand not wanting to kill any living thing just for doing what nature breed them to do. Im a total animal lover, but after watching a fox several times on my security camera trying to take out my flock I grew a B**ch Bone. Got 2 traps and all I have caught is Possum. That possum can be just as much of a threat, for the next person. I wont relocate because I dont want to make it someone else's problem. But to each its own. Lots of big fish in the pond out back......been feeding them for a minute now..........😜

I would normally eliminate threats to my chickens with a shotgun. We have a serious rabies problem in Georgia but this one was acting normal. He is now down near the Flint River which is a very remote area.
They claim racoons travel 3 to 10 miles in a night. I assume that's not a straight line but if they want to return they will

I would normally eliminate threats to my chickens with a shotgun. We have a serious rabies problem in Georgia but this one was acting normal. He is now down near the Flint River which is a very remote area.
Having such a serious rabies issue would be reason enough to never relocate. Not trying to "beat a dead coon" here but you should find out the rules for relocation in your area and I would want to know if they want any that are caught, for rabies testing.
I would imagine they would just say dispatch any that are a nuisance as I'm sure animal control is over worked as it is.

You can relocate raccoons here. You can’t relocate foxes. They (Dept of Natural Resources) only want an animal that has rabies symptoms or has attacked someone. Raccoons move in the evening and night. If one is out during the day, that is suspicious. If they are out during the day and walking slowly, head down and move toward a human or another animal, that’s an indication of rabies. I would normally not relocate, but this raccoon was acting perfectly normal before and after being caught. The area I released him in is a large swamp/forest area on the river. People don’t live there. When I opened the trap door, he scurried out and was gone. I was born and raised here and have hunted and fished on the river for years and have a pretty good understanding of typical animal behavior. The raccoon being on my farm is not unusual because I live between the Ocmulgee and Flint Rivers with multiple feeder creeks and streams all around. if I’m comfortable relocating, that’s what I do and I don’t relocate them to a place where others live. I take them to the river and let them go.

Back
Top Bottom