All Hens killed by Dog

We lost a favorite rooster (American Bresse beautiful too) to someone's dogs running loose. Wife got home and my oldest daughter saw the two dogs ripping him apart. She yelled and they ran. I was not home but told her next time to just shoot the dogs. If I am home, any dog that is on the property attacking my animals will be shot. Collar or no collar. I know neighbors dogs so would give them one time warning, but they never have been a problem.

:hugs
I have not yet read all 8 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this comes too late or has already been mentioned. First of all, please accept my condolences for your loss. But please consider adding "emotional distress" to your list of damages when going after the owner of the dog in court, and make it substantial. There need to be "punitive damages" as well, since he knew the dog was a threat; you had alerted him several times before. Good luck with this and also going forward.

Do you have something that covers the top? I have a hawk family in a tree quite close on the next property over. I have tried to think of how we might be able to let them graze. There are so many hawks up here in our high valley that we named our place Hawk's Landing!
We have hawks and bald eagles in our area. I have chicken wire over the run that works great. Birds don’t force their way in like other predators. The only problem is it needs repaired from the snow. I’m so, so sorry this horrible thing happened to you. You showed great self-control the way you handled it. Guardian dogs are helpful as well, but you’d need two if the neighbor has two dogs.

We lost a favorite rooster (American Bresse beautiful too) to someone's dogs running loose. Wife got home and my oldest daughter saw the two dogs ripping him apart. She yelled and they ran. I was not home but told her next time to just shoot the dogs. If I am home, any dog that is on the property attacking my animals will be shot. Collar or no collar. I know neighbors dogs so would give them one time warning, but they never have been a problem.
We had our backyard chickens(8) killed in an enclosure in my yard by dogs from next door at large. We have photos of the dogs around the chicken enclosure and of one dog with a chicken. We are in the Starke area. We plan to try to recover our flock. We called Animal control and they can out got the dogs they were here twice and got two dogs in a two week time period. Did you persue any legal action in Bradford county? Can you offer any advise?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to hear that! We are off 225/16 area. We did not pursue action because they ran off too quick. All the rest of the chickens were ok, just had two roos out because they wanted to stay out and the others would beat them up. Dog description was a medium bully mix white/cream and had a shorter terrier mix with him. Both had "bling" collars my wife said. So they are someone's. Nobody in my area that I know of though.

Do you have something that covers the top? I have a hawk family in a tree quite close on the next property over. I have tried to think of how we might be able to let them graze. There are so many hawks up here in our high valley that we named our place Hawk's Landing!
I've heard that owls kinda scare hawks so get an owl statue maybe that would help with that

Back
Top Bottom