Neighbor's Dog Killed Suzie, my old hen

I extended the fence around my yard 2 years ago when I got chickens and now I'm installing a couple strands of electric wire . My neighbor has 3 dogs that kill chickens so I have to be proactive to keep them alive. Sorry for your loss!
Thank you and I totally understand you being proactive. The dog that got my rabbit lived all the way down my road and had never been in our yard before so it was a shock when my husband saw it jumping over the fence to go back home. This morning I saw a dead raccoon in the middle of the road two houses from mine. I was glad that someone got it with their car before it tried to get any of the neighborhood flocks. I know that sounds mean but when you have flock animals and see the damage that the coons do you sort of take on the theory that the only good coon is a dead one. Especially if you know how many of your neighbors have lost their birds to them.

Thanks everyone. I talked to my neighbor. She was apologetic. I'd calmed down, so it was find. She was talking about getting fence extensions. So they're working on it. Apparently the dog gets out on the other side of the fence too. They were fostering her for a month to see how she'd get along with their other dog. After they signed the adoption papers she turned into an escape artist. She's going to end up getting hit by a car as she's run out onto a 40 MPH road that people go 50-55 on. Hopefully they can get all their weak spots reinforced.

However, my girls are pretty much confined to their enclosure. I'm trying to figure out what I can build to make it more interesting for them. Maybe a few tables and then ramps to get up to them. They'll then have some more space.

Thank you and I totally understand you being proactive. The dog that got my rabbit lived all the way down my road and had never been in our yard before so it was a shock when my husband saw it jumping over the fence to go back home. This morning I saw a dead raccoon in the middle of the road two houses from mine. I was glad that someone got it with their car before it tried to get any of the neighborhood flocks. I know that sounds mean but when you have flock animals and see the damage that the coons do you sort of take on the theory that the only good coon is a dead one. Especially if you know how many of your neighbors have lost their birds to them.
Unfortunately there's only so much we can do to protect them from predators.

Hi,
I came here to whine and gripe. Maybe a question or two.

I've had chickens since 2012. I'm on my third flock (6 at a time). I've never lost one to a predator. (Well, I did have one just disappear, but there was no sign of an attack, I think it met a rooster and ran off.) I was pretty proud of that, that I did a good job ensuring their coop and enclosure was safe.

I got my second flock in 2016, the last survivor was Suzie, the Speckled Sussex. My latest flock is all pretty skittish and won't let me handle them. Suzie, while she'd prefer not to be held, will squat, allow a scratch and will be the first running towards me. On the other hand, she was blind in one eye, had some balance issues and couldn't always get up on the roost. I'd been thinking she was going to die any day now for the last year, but she was still kicking, running to me, waddling around the yard and enjoying the sun.

I let the girls out to roam my yard during the day. (I'm in a neighborhood, yards are about 1/3 acre to a little over 1/2 acre, my yard is fenced 6 feet on one side, 3-4 feet on the other.

The neighbors have 2 dogs, one they got about 4-6 months ago. That one would escape out the front of their yard and wander the neighborhood until caught. They've figured out how it was getting out and repaired it. It wouldn't get into my yard as I have my own dog so it's already safe.

I was in my front yard painting some furniture. My chickens were out as usual. One of the chickens came to the fence and was just squawking away. I was chatting back with her. About 15 minutes later my husband comes to get me. The neighbor's dog had killed Suzie. As far as I can tell, <insert bad word> dog attacked her out of the enclosure, she must have gotten away and went into the enclosure and then under the coop and the <insert bad word> dog followed her and killed her. My lavender chicken (Lavie) was under there too. My husband had gotten the dog out of the coop and back to my neighbor, who apologized.

Lavie came out and went inside the coop, my other chickens went and hid under some bushes in different spots of the yard. Maybe the <insert bad word> dog had tried to get them too, but they just got away.

I'm just real sad and mad.

Practically, it was my oldest hen who hadn't laid an egg in over 2 years and I'd have had to deal with her dying on her own. I'd bought a small coop to be the sick/dying of old age coop for her even as I hate that whole process and the other chickens being jerks to the one dying.

Reasonably, the neighbor's dog had never gotten into our yard, so there was no way to know that it would jump the fence, which is my guess as to how it got into my yard. The dog was being a dog.

I'm really ticked off at my dog as I don't know what the heck she was doing as she was in the yard as well. Now she loves the neighbor's first dog and they would run back and forth along the fence with each other. I suspect that was what she was doing. Their 1st dog was distracting my dog to let <bad name> dog kill Suzie. However, I'd have thought she should have done something. No treats for her tonight. I've had two dogs when having chickens. My first was indifferent to them as I'd introduced her to them as off limits when they were chicks and my current dog, who is frightened of the chickens and I had no concerns having either dog in the yard with the chickens.

I am concerned that <bad name> dog may have gotten to the other chickens, particularly Lavie as she's got what looks like some blood on her, but it could be from Suzie or the ground. She's moving fine as are the others, even more skittish.

My instinct is to just let them be and observe them more closely. However I wonder if I should crawl into their coop at night and inspect them. I just think that would be more traumatic.

What should I expect or do to help my girls recover from this?

I realize, they're chickens, not kids.

My husband was the one talking to the neighbor while I was on the other side of the yard cussing and trying to find the last hiding chicken. Neighbor apologized, didn't know how the dog got into our yard, he'll buy us chicks next year, etc. My husband said okay, it was the oldest chicken anyway, but we can't have that happen again. (I'd have likely threatened to shoot the dog if it came into my yard again. I was upset.)

I'm still sad, Suzie was living out her retirement and to be killed in such a violent way wasn't right. I feel like I failed her.

Sorry for the length.
I am so so sorry for your loss. I had beautiful Silke/Americana hen that was also killed by my neighbors dog. She was 2 1/2 years old and laid small white eggs. She was super sweet and had such a diva personality. I know how you feel by thinking the way your hen died wasn't right. But you didn't fail her. You gave her a beautiful life. Most farmers would have culled her once she stopped laying eggs, but you gave her retirement even though it was short. It was such a kind-hearted thing to do. These birds aren't just poultry, They are all unique in there own ways and it's so cool to raise and watch them. It hurts so bad when they get killed. Don't blame yourself for Suzie's death, it wasn't your fault. I hope all your other chickens are uninjured and I hope you can find some peace❤️❤️❤️

Hi,
I came here to whine and gripe. Maybe a question or two.

I've had chickens since 2012. I'm on my third flock (6 at a time). I've never lost one to a predator. (Well, I did have one just disappear, but there was no sign of an attack, I think it met a rooster and ran off.) I was pretty proud of that, that I did a good job ensuring their coop and enclosure was safe.

I got my second flock in 2016, the last survivor was Suzie, the Speckled Sussex. My latest flock is all pretty skittish and won't let me handle them. Suzie, while she'd prefer not to be held, will squat, allow a scratch and will be the first running towards me. On the other hand, she was blind in one eye, had some balance issues and couldn't always get up on the roost. I'd been thinking she was going to die any day now for the last year, but she was still kicking, running to me, waddling around the yard and enjoying the sun.

I let the girls out to roam my yard during the day. (I'm in a neighborhood, yards are about 1/3 acre to a little over 1/2 acre, my yard is fenced 6 feet on one side, 3-4 feet on the other.

The neighbors have 2 dogs, one they got about 4-6 months ago. That one would escape out the front of their yard and wander the neighborhood until caught. They've figured out how it was getting out and repaired it. It wouldn't get into my yard as I have my own dog so it's already safe.

I was in my front yard painting some furniture. My chickens were out as usual. One of the chickens came to the fence and was just squawking away. I was chatting back with her. About 15 minutes later my husband comes to get me. The neighbor's dog had killed Suzie. As far as I can tell, <insert bad word> dog attacked her out of the enclosure, she must have gotten away and went into the enclosure and then under the coop and the <insert bad word> dog followed her and killed her. My lavender chicken (Lavie) was under there too. My husband had gotten the dog out of the coop and back to my neighbor, who apologized.

Lavie came out and went inside the coop, my other chickens went and hid under some bushes in different spots of the yard. Maybe the <insert bad word> dog had tried to get them too, but they just got away.

I'm just real sad and mad.

Practically, it was my oldest hen who hadn't laid an egg in over 2 years and I'd have had to deal with her dying on her own. I'd bought a small coop to be the sick/dying of old age coop for her even as I hate that whole process and the other chickens being jerks to the one dying.

Reasonably, the neighbor's dog had never gotten into our yard, so there was no way to know that it would jump the fence, which is my guess as to how it got into my yard. The dog was being a dog.

I'm really ticked off at my dog as I don't know what the heck she was doing as she was in the yard as well. Now she loves the neighbor's first dog and they would run back and forth along the fence with each other. I suspect that was what she was doing. Their 1st dog was distracting my dog to let <bad name> dog kill Suzie. However, I'd have thought she should have done something. No treats for her tonight. I've had two dogs when having chickens. My first was indifferent to them as I'd introduced her to them as off limits when they were chicks and my current dog, who is frightened of the chickens and I had no concerns having either dog in the yard with the chickens.

I am concerned that <bad name> dog may have gotten to the other chickens, particularly Lavie as she's got what looks like some blood on her, but it could be from Suzie or the ground. She's moving fine as are the others, even more skittish.

My instinct is to just let them be and observe them more closely. However I wonder if I should crawl into their coop at night and inspect them. I just think that would be more traumatic.

What should I expect or do to help my girls recover from this?

I realize, they're chickens, not kids.

My husband was the one talking to the neighbor while I was on the other side of the yard cussing and trying to find the last hiding chicken. Neighbor apologized, didn't know how the dog got into our yard, he'll buy us chicks next year, etc. My husband said okay, it was the oldest chicken anyway, but we can't have that happen again. (I'd have likely threatened to shoot the dog if it came into my yard again. I was upset.)

I'm still sad, Suzie was living out her retirement and to be killed in such a violent way wasn't right. I feel like I failed her.

Sorry for the length.
sorry for your loss....

Get it in writing that your neighbor will buy you chicks next year and expectation it can't happen again.

sorry for your loss....

Get it in writing that your neighbor will buy you chicks next year and expectation it can't happen again.
I agree with PicoFarm. I had to write my neighbor a letter to remind him of his promise to pay me for the loss of my rabbit he said he would pay for. After receiving my letter he paid me.

Thanks. The other chickens seem fine and are laying, though some seem to be going through a mini molt as they're getting new feathers on their backs.

I went away for 2 weeks and came back and the neighbor had brought over a note apologizing again and saying they've reinforced the fence and are paying more attention to the dog when it's out. They included a a tractor supply gift card, so I'll get the chickens some treats.

We are only "allowed" 6 chickens in my area and I now have 5, so I don't think new chicks are a good idea. This last batch of chickens were going to be my last until I retire and move and see where I wind up.

Thanks for all the support. I knew you all would understand.

Thanks. The other chickens seem fine and are laying, though some seem to be going through a mini molt as they're getting new feathers on their backs.

I went away for 2 weeks and came back and the neighbor had brought over a note apologizing again and saying they've reinforced the fence and are paying more attention to the dog when it's out. They included a a tractor supply gift card, so I'll get the chickens some treats.

We are only "allowed" 6 chickens in my area and I now have 5, so I don't think new chicks are a good idea. This last batch of chickens were going to be my last until I retire and move and see where I wind up.

Thanks for all the support. I knew you all would understand.
I am glad that your other chickens all seem to be fine now. I can surely see why you would not want to find just one since you can only have six and you still have 5. That was nice that your neighbor tried to make amends as accidents do happen and when my neighbor's dog killed my rabbit I too forgave and went on with life. I knew he had no idea his dog would do that and it was the first time it had ever gone that far down our street to check anything out in anyone else's yard. You are most welcome for the ideas and thoughts on the subject and good luck with the rest of your flock.

So sorry to hear. My own dog got one of my hens who found the only spot she could get out…learned the hard way.

If you want to extend their enclosure for now, super easy build is 6ft welded wire and posts. We extended our (roofed) run out to a non-roofed area, and they love it. Might be nice for daytime when you aren’t home or situations where animals are getting in.

Back
Top Bottom