Another flock massacre by dogs

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I see this has been discussed many times. This happened to us today. Our flock freeranges. Neighbors dogs came this afternoon and killed two hens, and my sweet and favorite 10 year old IB peahen, orphaning her one chick in the process. I'm still not sure if there were more casualties, I won't know til morning when i can get a better head count. The flock returned to the barn this evening but it was almost dark, and raining, so I'm not sure. . We too filed a police report and were told to follow up with animal control, we may be able to press charges. I am so shocked and sad. We've had free range poultry for 19 years and have never had this happen. Of course, our neighbor apologized and offered to make restitution, and I know we can get restitution for the market value of the individual birds, but has anyone ever been able to collect damages for just the emotional backlash that comes with this?

I'm really sorry. I don't think you can collect for emotional harm, since chickens as well as other animals are considered personal property. But you can collect for the amount it will cost to purchase and raise another chick up to the age your birds were, lost egg sales until the replacement birds reach POL, etc. There is no amount of money worth enduring the emotional pain of a flock massacre though. And while it's nice that the neighbor accepted responsibility and offered to make restitution, as @Tonyroo stated, assurance and confirmation the situation will never happen again is necessary too. Again, I'm so sorry. :hugs

Had the same problem with our neighbors dogs. They didn't believe in confining dogs when living in the country. Unfortunately, another neighbor did not believe dogs should be allowed to kill his 8 year olds pet bunnies. One shotgun blast and two dogs became one. That is when the dog owner put up fencing.

I would not try to get restitution. Now the neighbor knows there is problem. Give him a chance to either re-home the dogs or secure them. If the problem continues, get a gun. SSS. Shoot, shovel, shut up.

Had the same problem with our neighbors dogs. They didn't believe in confining dogs when living in the country. Unfortunately, another neighbor did not believe dogs should be allowed to kill his 8 year olds pet bunnies. One shotgun blast and two dogs became one. That is when the dog owner put up fencing.

I would not try to get restitution. Now the neighbor knows there is problem. Give him a chance to either re-home the dogs or secure them. If the problem continues, get a gun. SSS. Shoot, shovel, shut up.
Well, they offered restitution. I don't want to have to go through small claims, but i dont think I will have to. They know I have the right to shoot the dogs, and the deputy made sure they knew.

So sorry for your losses, it does hurt.
I'd accept restitution, and expect that their dogs will be managed better in the future. You filed a report, so there's a record, another good thing.
If those dogs return, be ready for them!
Animals can get out sometimes, in the best places, it's the jerks who don't care, and let them run just because they can, that are the really bad actors.
Mary

If you're good friends with them, I wouldn't take any money for restitution. There word would be good enough for me. If they are just neighbors you wave to as your driving by, absolutely collect.

Back
Top Bottom