Any non-lethal fox deterrents that WORK?

I have a flock free-ranging dawn-dusk with foxes all around, and haven't lost anyone - even a chick - to a fox since 2020, while a neighbour with a fenced area loses some every year. The difference in our arrangements? I have 4 roos with 15 hens, raised within the flock and who work together to protect the hens. And mobile coops that I move frequently (foxes are suspicious of change). Here's a photo of them in close formation when they sensed danger, snapped through a window so apologies for the quality.
View attachment 3575365
(and the metal pole with fluttering fabric atop is a hawk deterrent, again easy to move around and change things up)
Suspicious of change.... thank you, there's so many ways I can use this

Hi friends. We have a family of foxes that moved in to our area a few years ago — right at the corner of our & two neighbors’ farms. I feel the foxes have as much right to be here as we do, but they’ve taken turns decimating each of our flocks over the years. We’ve researched rehoming them, but got a large thumbs down from all the wildlife rehabbers in the area. No one will remove/relocate them as it’s essentially a death sentence. I won’t be privy to poisoning or otherwise violently killing animals just trying to exist on this planet where we’ve taken so much of their space away from them already. I tell you all this because I’m not interested in suggestions to kill the foxes.

But I’m also emotionally exhausted from losing chickens.

So my question is has anyone had any successful non-lethal fox deterrents they’ve used to protect their flock?

My chickens have a predator & mostly weather proof run inside a fenced area. They don’t freerange in our larger fields unless we’re outside. I will let them into the fenced yard if we’re home (though they’re still at risk of predator bird attack). I don’t want to keep them locked in the run all year. We’re in an area with severe winters so they always spend half the year in the run.

Thank you for your help!
Electric fencing.

Electric fence is the most popular goto option that really works. It's near impossible to humanely trap or capture a fox. Chemical repellent doesn't work. They are very sneaky and slick. They are related to dogs. If not the Electric fence then completely enclose their run with fencing. One last tip, if you do nothing else, leave your chickens inside the protected pen on a rainy day. Foxes use raindrop sound to mask their attack.

I ordered a momo mask for the scarecrow and spread ammonia around the fences

Attachments

• 20231027_105711.jpg
    20231027_105711.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231027_011355 (2).jpg
    20231027_011355 (2).jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom