duck fence

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
The duck house has been on the deck near the house. The ducks like to hang out right in front of the back door. Cute, but messy and I'm tired of the dogs stepping in poop on their way in. Or the ducks sitting right under the dog door - bad spot to be!

So I moved their house yesterday. Still on the deck, but by the steps and we 'fenced' them over there. Hopefully they stay on that side but the fence is low enough to allow the dogs to still come and go as they please.

Ducks checked it out - tried to find a way under, tried to find a way through and even checked out the over bit. I know they can get up there, but hoping they decide it is too much effort. So far so good, but I'm thinking it won't last long and we'll have to figure out another way to keep ducks on that side while still allowing the dogs to get out into the yard on their own.

P1020847.jpg

P1020849.jpg

P1020851.jpg

P1020852.jpg

DH would like them off the deck entirely, but I like the extra layer of protection they have from the deck - even if they are locked in their little house at night. So this was our compromise for now.

Good idea I have been thinking about doing somthing like this myself, Think I might have to make mine a little taller tho, my ducks sure love laying next to the back door, only bad thing about ducks is they poop SO much! Keep us posted I am interested to see if they jump it.

Oh man, I feel your pain! My ducks want to hang out by the back door and watch me all day too! I'm so tired of duck poop on the deck. And I can't imagine it's fun just starting at a door all day. I don't know why they don't want to go forage or play in their pool! We don't have dogs, so my husband is going to build a gate at the bottom of the deck stairs. My rouen is the only one that could fly over it, so hopefully he'll just stay on the other side with his buddies.

I have to say, they look so cute looking over that fence. I have a feeling they'll be getting over it pretty soon!
big_smile.png

What a gorgeous coloured trio you have. I hope you have males and females? It would be lovely to see the color of offspring from them.
I love the post and rail effect you have made for the fencing. I have a short mesh fence around that height keeping my ducks away from an area I dont want them to be. I have often watched them size up the fence and the vegies on the other side.

All 3 are females.

For now, the short fence is working. They stand and look over it, but so far have been content to hand out on their side when they come up on the deck. Hopefully they continue to do that and not figure out the way over.

lol.png
That is so funny, my ducks would be over it in a heart beat. I separated my ducks into their little flocks yesterday, my drakes are not happy with this at all now that they are on different sides of the fence. They are usually out foraging in the yard but no one has moved away from the fence. I need to go take photos on my depressed ducks.

LOL

I had some of mine separated for a while. Pitiful!!

I am sure when I put them in breeding groups I will have to deal with it all over again.
tongue.png

Every once in a blue moon, Cadbury figures out how to fly over it and that girl never flies. I think I've picked her up and moved her back to the other side 2 or 3 times since it has been there.

Back
Top Bottom