Red feet?

KODIAK

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Northern New JERSEY
Very cold in NJ now all my rir have pink to red feet and don't really come outside . Is this from the cold and what can I do if anything?

Thanks Charlie

I'm sorry i don't have more ideas. I don't deal with cold weather much, but i've read about that one a bunch.

Here's hoping someone else can help you better than i.

How old are they?

I don't have any RIR hens, but my rooster's feet got reddish as he went through puberty. I was a bit alarmed, but everyone on here assured me it was normal.
BOChicks2029.jpg

If it is round, they won't have their feathers over their feet completely. You might try a 2x4 wide side up. Just to see.

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto. Chickens don't like to perch the way most birds do. They really prefer to have a wider roost (like a 2x4 wide side up as sharol suggested) so they can rest flat footed on it and bring their bodies down over their feet to keep them warm. I used round perches about the same size as yours when I first got chickens and they are much happier since I switched to the 2x4 style.

All that being said, the pic you posted reminds me more of how my young roos feet/legs look when the raging teen hormones kick in.

Quote:

Ditto. Chickens don't like to perch the way most birds do. They really prefer to have a wider roost (like a 2x4 wide side up as sharol suggested) so they can rest flat footed on it and bring their bodies down over their feet to keep them warm. I used round perches about the same size as yours when I first got chickens and they are much happier since I switched to the 2x4 style.

All that being said, the pic you posted reminds me more of how my young roos feet/legs look when the raging teen hormones kick in.

That picture isn't from the OP.

Quote:

That picture isn't from the OP.

Yeah it was my picture. I was asking the OP if maybe their chickens could be getting the raging teen hormones too!! The pic is from when my roo got hit with the puberty stage and I was a little freaked about his red feet/legs. It wasn't cold then though, so maybe KODIAK can figure out if their chickens are getting the teenage dose of hormones or if it is really cold-related.
hu.gif

Oops! Sorry guys, I probably shouldn't post while I'm fixing dinner and trying to keep 10 year old ds focused on homework.....I like to think I can multi-task, but sometimes it doesn't work out so well.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom