Do Chickens Mourn ?

nanawendy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Bellingham Wa
Last night I had a very ill chicken, Lucy. She was severely prolapsed. With help from BYCer's and my DH we culled her.
Now I have an issue with her sisters AND ROO... Earl. When I took her out of the coop last night , the others paced and squawked incessantly.
Today they are all standing by the fence line...pacing and Earl keeps crowing. The crow sound is slightly different, but you wouldn't know it if you didn't know Earl. I think I'll give them their treats early today. Any suggestions or input???

Yes, IMO they absolutely do mourn. All they know is that something is not right in their little world.

A little story, that I swear is true - My Lil'Bit, recently killed by a hawk, was my baby. She couldn't see well, so she learned early on to wait for my help to get on the roosts at night. As it was getting dark, she would stand just inside the door of the coop and peek around the corner to watch for me. As soon as she spotted me she would jump out of the coop and come running into my arms. As I placed her on the roost, she'd always make a sweet, content-sounding noise.
Since she's been gone, I have missed our little routine alot. Another one of my hens, Lilith (the outcast) often befriended Lil'Bit. About two weeks ago, Lilith developed the same habit Lil'Bit had. She waits by the coop door for me to pick her up and put her on a roost, though she can see just fine. She makes the same sort of content "thank you" when I set her down. I know it's not true, but it's almost as if Lilith knows I need that comfort.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Ohhh That is so sweet. Thank You for the thoughts. Their behavior wouldn't seem odd if it weren't for their chicken-ness. I sure miss her... Lucy was the "Grand-Dam" of the group. I hear that "missing" tone in your voice too.
hit.gif

I believe they mourn as well.

A couple weeks ago, we lost one of our Leghorn hens and her chick (our only broody on the farm to sit on an egg through to hatching) to a Coyote. The rest of the the week, the other birds were mopey, wanted lots of attention and in general acted sad. I gave all the attention I could, which seemed to make them happy.

Is this really a serious Question ? I just don't see the point.

AL

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom