Two chickens born last fall just not right any ideas why? What did I do wrong?

Starrponies

Songster
Apr 8, 2024
East Wenatchee
I purchased a silver laced Sussex and a sapphire gem last fall as chicks I took care of them just the way I have any of my other chicks over the years but they were my first fall chicks ever. coming this spring they both produced eggs early and both produced extremely large eggs. the Sapphire gem actually prolapsed her vent and after trying really hard to save her. I had to put her down :( she was actually my favorite chicken. the sussex took longer to produce but now she too is producing huge eggs and has for like 2 months. Mostly double yolkers and even a few 3 yolks. Just like the Sapphire gem did. now I'm worried she's going to prolapse too is there anything that is that causes this or is it just my luck of these two chickens. They are fed all flock with oyster shells, egg shells, mealworms sometimes. I have been supplementing light. Was it from the light? Time of year? Bad luck? I'm worried I did something wrong with them. All my other chickens are doing great! Thanks so much for reading this long post 😀 the smaller egg is from my barred rocks

Attachments

• IMG_20240411_101438391_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240411_101438391_HDR.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Genetics plays a big role in this. But augmenting the light will have an effect on reproduction. It does stimulate laying and may interfere with the hen taking a short break to rest her system from time to time.

Unless you are a commercial egg producer, there is no advantage and significant trade-offs in health to augment lighting.

You might try removing the light and giving a calcium citrate with D3 tablet daily for three to five days to try to regulate the egg cycle and perhaps curtail the double yolks. This is in addition to the feed and the oyster shell, the latter should be given separate from their feed. Pop the pill directly into the beak.

The light was used through the winter for 12 hours now it's light outside longer than the light is on. (The coop is dark inside
and I got other chicks in there I'm hopefully not messing up 😂) But maybe while she was growing the light messed her up? She isn't very old, born in September. Would she already need a break? I feel horrible I could have caused this for these two. My barred rocks started producing at about 18 weeks, basically when I got the two chicks last fall. They lay flawless almost every day, normal well shelled eggs. I'm going to go get the vitamin you just suggested. Is there any other things you got in your chicken medicine cabinet I should get at the same time to just have on hand for issues? Btw you are awesome! I've seen all the help you give! The world needs more big hearted people like you! I'm lucky to find this place!

Agree with azygous, most of those egg issues you describe are genetic. Many production birds/breeds don't have trouble for at least the first year or so, some do. Depends on the bird and the lines.

Leaving the light on over winter probably had nothing to do with things because she's less than a year old - most chickens naturally will lay through their first winter and take their first molt at 18 months. I don't think anything you did caused this. Sorry you lost your hen.

I had issues with all three of my sapphire gems. One isn't laying at all anymore, one is laying very sporadically. I'm not sure about the other breed you have. But personally I won't be getting anymore production breeds.
I've actually been reading about these problems with these types and wish I would have stuck away from them. Makes me heart hurt seeing my babies not healthy

Agree with azygous, most of those egg issues you describe are genetic. Many production birds/breeds don't have trouble for at least the first year or so, some do. Depends on the bird and the lines.

Leaving the light on over winter probably had nothing to do with things because she's less than a year old - most chickens naturally will lay through their first winter and take their first molt at 18 months. I don't think anything you did caused this. Sorry you lost your hen.
Thanks for answering! Makes me feel a little better I probably didn't do anything wrong! I love these darn birds so much! My local farm store is full of these production line hybrids. I purchased some prairie Blue Bell eggers earlier this year and I'm hoping these won't give me the same issues. These will definitely be my last of these mixes my heart can't take losing these girls so soon!

I've had ISA brown, Golden Comet, Buff Orpingtons from Hoovers. Red Star from Murray McMurray, White Leghorns from Hoovers and Murray McMurray, Starlight Green Eggers and Prairie Bluebell Eggers from Hoovers, Whiting True Blues and Cream Crested Legbar from Murray McMurray. The only birds I've ever had problems with double yolkers are one Buff Orpington, and with Ginger Broiler Meatbirds. GB don't have great genetics other than grow very fast by 3 months, so I wasn't super surprised they weren't great layers but it did tick me off.

Thanks for answering! Makes me feel a little better I probably didn't do anything wrong! I love these darn birds so much! My local farm store is full of these production line hybrids. I purchased some prairie Blue Bell eggers earlier this year and I'm hoping these won't give me the same issues. These will definitely be my last of these mixes my heart can't take losing these girls so soon!
I've been very happy with my PBEs. They have varying egg shape and color, but have been very healthy chickens, almost daily layers most of them, no shell issues or double yolker issues, and could do great at free ranging if I let them. I've also liked the Starlight Green egger, although they do lay a medium egg they do it every day. One of my SGEs is a great broody.

ETA: one of my PBEs also went broody in her second year, but broke herself before I gave her eggs.

I've been very happy with my PBEs. They have varying egg shape and color, but have been very healthy chickens, almost daily layers most of them, no shell issues or double yolker issues, and could do great at free ranging if I let them. I've also liked the Starlight Green egger, although they do lay a medium egg they do it every day. One of my SGEs is a great broody.

ETA: one of my PBEs also went broody in her second year, but broke herself before I gave her eggs.
So happy to hear this! Thank you! 😁

Back
Top Bottom