Has anyone ever had a chicken repeatedly jump up and down just before laying an egg?

arstarr

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2023
<< video linked below >>

This is my sweet blue copper maran, Pippin. She's been laying since September 2023. A very odd layer, she laid every single day for the first month and then took three months off. She's now back to a fairly consistent every other day, but she's started a new pre-laying ritual...jumping up and down. She resides in a chicken apartment of sorts with her sister, Lainey. One side is taller to allow for the use of a heat lap in winter months if needed. She has been going over to this tall side and jumping as high as she can, just to fall back down due to that blasted gravity thing. At first, I thought, "Maybe she's after a bug," but upon sticking my head in there, no bugs to be found. Then I thought, "Maybe she wants out into the main run," but even after leaving the roof open for her to jump out of the shorter side, she continued to jump up and down on the tall side. After witnessing this behavior on multiple separate occasions, I realized that not too long after the jumping subsides, she lays her egg for the day. So, now I think they are related events. I've Googled this all to no avail....so, now I'm here.

Has anyone ever experienced chicken behavior like this?

Video of Pippin Jumping Up and Down

How is your hen's eyesight? Could possibly get or build her a nesting box setup like this:
(That is my setup and for the most part, they're very happy with it.)

I would try her in a smaller, more secluded nesting box that has a top nest and bottom nest. (Mine prefer the top nest. The bottom one is too close to the floor, therefore it lacks privacy.) She might be having a lot of anxiety over laying her egg, so a square nesting box that she's comfortable in might help her a lot.

How is your hen's eyesight? Could possibly get or build her a nesting box setup like this:
(That is my setup and for the most part, they're very happy with it.)

I would try her in a smaller, more secluded nesting box that has a top nest and bottom nest. (Mine prefer the top nest. The bottom one is too close to the floor, therefore it lacks privacy.) She might be having a lot of anxiety over laying her egg, so a square nesting box that she's comfortable in might help her a lot.
She has a nesting box, but she chooses to do this in this location.

Maybe it's just her way of helping the egg along before passing it. Or maybe she's just a little 'different.' As long as she's otherwise normal and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone has their quirks.
Oh. she is definitely quirky, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not worried per say....more just curious if anyone has witnessed something similar.

<< video linked below >>

This is my sweet blue copper maran, Pippin. She's been laying since September 2023. A very odd layer, she laid every single day for the first month and then took three months off. She's now back to a fairly consistent every other day, but she's started a new pre-laying ritual...jumping up and down. She resides in a chicken apartment of sorts with her sister, Lainey. One side is taller to allow for the use of a heat lap in winter months if needed. She has been going over to this tall side and jumping as high as she can, just to fall back down due to that blasted gravity thing. At first, I thought, "Maybe she's after a bug," but upon sticking my head in there, no bugs to be found. Then I thought, "Maybe she wants out into the main run," but even after leaving the roof open for her to jump out of the shorter side, she continued to jump up and down on the tall side. After witnessing this behavior on multiple separate occasions, I realized that not too long after the jumping subsides, she lays her egg for the day. So, now I think they are related events. I've Googled this all to no avail....so, now I'm here.

Has anyone ever experienced chicken behavior like this?

Video of Pippin Jumping Up and Down
No but I would love to see the video 😎

Back
Top Bottom