Lavender Marans

bigspringshatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Roanoke Alabama
I really like the lavender color and was thinking about trying to get close to this in a marans. Has anyone ever tried or can it be done? I was thinking of breeding my lav orp roo to a splash marans, black copper marans, and a blue marans. But would i need to breed those offsprings back to which marans or back to the lavender orps? i know ill have to work on egg color that why im going to use the darkest hens i have for this.

Quote:
If you use the splash and blue Marans you will run into trouble down the line with the two dilutants [blue and lav] working against you down the line. [JMO]
To breed towards Maran type and egg color, I would breed the splits to each other to get the [average of] 25% lavs, then go back to Marans at least once.

Quote:
If you use the splash and blue Marans you will run into trouble down the line with the two dilutants [blue and lav] working against you down the line. [JMO]
To breed towards Maran type and egg color, I would breed the splits to each other to get the [average of] 25% lavs, then go back to Marans at least once.

ok so youre saying breed a lav orp roo to a black copper hens and then breed offsprings back to black copper or lav orp?

Quote:

ok so youre saying breed a lav orp roo to a black copper hens and then breed offsprings back to black copper or lav orp?

My thinking is that I would breed the best offspring amoung themselves......................... then take the resulting Lav F2s back to a quality, dark egged Marans. You would be breeding for Orpington characteristics by returning to a Lav Orp.

too bad you dont have a plain good old fashioned black marans to use (in oppose to black copper). You can get the lavander color into the marans by breeding the lav orp roo to your black copper hen, then breeding your offspring together, but they will have coppering alot of them, if not all. Where as if you used a black hen to the lav orp, they would not be brassy at all, then when you end up with the lavender offspring, you could breed back to the solid black hen to strengthen the marans quality.
Sib
wink.png

I hope you do this. I am eager to see the results. Many of the Lav Orps I've seen almost have a more Marans-type shape to them than the classic Orp shape (to my un-trained eye.) Getting in on this project before the Orpingtons are too refined is probably a good idea!

I am going to do the LAV MArans after I make my run with my Birchen Marans Bruno. I just listed some of his eggs for the first time on EBAY and was shocked that I have 4 bids. And these are just Birchens. I am using three Black pullets and one BCM hen who is virtually almost all Black. Someone told me I should do it. So, what the heck. I will here in a few months after I get my fill on my Birchens Marans with my Bruno the Birchen Marans cock. Then he goes onto my Blue Birchen Orp pullet and one Black Birchen Orp pullet for my run at Birchen Black and Birchen Blue Orps. By then I think my one Lav Orp cockerel will be ready to sire.

Last edited:
Quote:
You've gotta remember, if Greenfire can sell a chick for $99, I'm pretty sure others can sell Birchens too. . .
wink.png

Lavender Marans would be neat, but I'm still tired of Lavender being thrown at every breed out there. As long as it is done right, and the project actually finished, I'm fine. . . But so far in the rest of the Lavender breeds through these years, I've yet to see that.
wink.png

You've gotta remember, if Greenfire can sell a chick for $99, I'm pretty sure others can sell Birchens too.

Yes, I remember asking you who else had Birchen Marans on another thread. You never replied. So you say Greenfire has Birchens Marans? I still like to see someone else's who are of quality.
I can see those who bid. One I don't know of. The other I know has spent big bucks and like Greenfire also imported live birds recently.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yea i understand its going to be hard and long but I'm willing to give it my best. I may fail but I'll never know until I try. Since I'm down sizing a little I'll have room for a project. My project was going to be a barred oe but my EE lays oe so now I need another project.

Back
Top Bottom