Lavender Marans

bigspringshatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Roanoke Alabama
I really like the lavender color and was thinking about trying to get close to this in a marans. Has anyone ever tried or can it be done? I was thinking of breeding my lav orp roo to a splash marans, black copper marans, and a blue marans. But would i need to breed those offsprings back to which marans or back to the lavender orps? i know ill have to work on egg color that why im going to use the darkest hens i have for this.

too bad you dont have a plain good old fashioned black marans to use (in oppose to black copper). You can get the lavander color into the marans by breeding the lav orp roo to your black copper hen, then breeding your offspring together, but they will have coppering alot of them, if not all. Where as if you used a black hen to the lav orp, they would not be brassy at all, then when you end up with the lavender offspring, you could breed back to the solid black hen to strengthen the marans quality.
Sib
wink.png

Quote:
If you use the splash and blue Marans you will run into trouble down the line with the two dilutants [blue and lav] working against you down the line. [JMO]
To breed towards Maran type and egg color, I would breed the splits to each other to get the [average of] 25% lavs, then go back to Marans at least once.

ok so youre saying breed a lav orp roo to a black copper hens and then breed offsprings back to black copper or lav orp?

My thinking is that I would breed the best offspring amoung themselves......................... then take the resulting Lav F2s back to a quality, dark egged Marans. You would be breeding for Orpington characteristics by returning to a Lav Orp.

thought i would post a pic of my breeding Lav Marans Rooster... he is a F2 50% black Marans and 50% Lav Orp... he is a little yellow but i believe this is from the sun as this only showed up after i put him out side at about 5 months old... but I'm not 100% sure of that lol i guess time will tell... he does have feathers on his feet tho it is mostly stubs and hard to see in this pic...

Quote:
If you use the splash and blue Marans you will run into trouble down the line with the two dilutants [blue and lav] working against you down the line. [JMO]
To breed towards Maran type and egg color, I would breed the splits to each other to get the [average of] 25% lavs, then go back to Marans at least once.

you have got to love resesive genes... my origanal black marans only had feather stubs on one (of 3) of the hens... of the pure black i was hatching i was getting about 1 out of 10 chicks with feathers... it was those 3 hens that i used to cross with my Lav Orp rooster... only a couple of my F1's have feather stubs on there feet and i just hatched a Lav chick with what looks like full feathers on its feet... i am going to try to get pic,s later today... will keep a close eye on this one...

i hatched 2 out this week... bringing my total to 12...

later y'all Elias

just thought i would update every one... i now have 6 Lav's doing really good... i lost a few the first cold spell we had when my brooder bulb burnt out... (y do they never burn out when its warm idk)

anyways i have 4 roosters and 2 hens... i still have my f1's and am going to try to hatch a few more before i get rid of them... 6 is just not enough for me... ill try to get some pic's soon and upload them here...

Elias

I also am doing this project...I am using my Wade Jeane C1 hens that show very little or no color on their hackles, they are also my darkest egg layers. I have Sir Winston in with them. my F1 chicks do have feathering on shanks.

you can see the hens behind him in the other pen. I will post pictures of the chicks soon.....fun project...these are their dark eggs.

Back
Top Bottom