Frontline ???

Frontline is used for insect control in food crops and has no effect on mamals. Shouldn't meet to throw out eggs. Did you use it for lice?

I'm assuming the OP is referring to Frontline pest preventive spray for Poultry. If so, the medication can be present in the bloodstream for 45+ days. Whether or not that affects the eggs all the way up to 45 days, I don't know.

(Edit) - Poultry Dust or DE seems like a safer route for egg layers, imo.

Last edited:
Or is the OP talking about Frontline for fleas for cats and dogs????
hu.gif

Quote:
Some people use it... but it's not labeled for Poultry and only works if applied directly to the skin. That's because this medication is carried in the bloodstream. That pretty much rules out meaties & egg layers for human consumption. And that's not even getting into the potentially dangerous effects to the birds themselves... Oh and did I mention it's VERY expensive along with all that risk? Yeah... dust/DE sound great don't they?
tongue.png

Quote:
Some people use it... but it's not labeled for Poultry and only works if applied directly to the skin. That's because this medication is carried in the bloodstream. That pretty much rules out meaties & egg layers for human consumption. And that's not even getting into the potentially dangerous effects to the birds themselves... Oh and did I mention it's VERY expensive along with all that risk? Yeah... dust/DE sound great don't they?
tongue.png

Frontline\\ Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks is not carried in the bloodstream! That is why it is an EPA regestered product not an FDA. If it goes in the bloodstream then it is FDA. It is carried to the oil glands by the oils on the body. I worked for the company, Merial who makes it for 11 years so i'm not just guessing. I know about all there is to know about fipronil. No harm to mamals. I have known many vets who have used the spray to treat head lice in kids. I'm not suggesting you do that but it has been done.

If I touch a dog that's been treated with Frontline, my hands turn red and swell up like balloons. You can wash a dog, but it still keeps excreting it for a couple of months. They use it at the local shelter and I can't even adopt from there anymore. So are you saying I could eat eggs from a chicken that had this used on it and I wouldn't have a reaction, because there's no residue anywhere else in the body, except on the skin?

I helped my friend frontline her chickens . (as per the chicken doctor) Put frontline on Qtip apply to skin on---Back of chickens head, under throat, under each wing, above vent and on top of tail. She also has a dusting pan of DE but that has not licked the problem yet. Hopefully the chicken doctors solution will work.

We use Frontline ALWAYS! We have a fairly large flock and go to alot of shows and have to de-louse after each one. frontline is the only product that we have found so far that actually works... dust at $8.00 a can which you have to apply every 3 weeks gets very expensive and is moslty un-effective! Sure frontline is expensive for the small bottle, but when you only use a drop or two on each bird, its last forever and works in just a few days!

When we use it on birds that are in breeding pens, we usually do it under the wing, or if necessary we do it UNDER the vent! (to insure it doesn't ruin fertilization of our eggs)

We never have raised our birds for farm fresh eggs, they are all show stock and raised for hatching eggs/chicks, so I have never had to worry to much about eating the eggs....

Quote:
I'm just saying that it is not systemic, It does not enter the blood stream. I don't know what your specific type of reaction you have and I am not a doctor so I can't say if you will have a reaction or not! I sold in my little area over $3mm in Frontline every year and have never even heard of frontline causing a reaction in a person and only 1 skin reaction in a dog in 12 years. was it a reaction to fipronil or the carrier, who knows? I guess in your case, you should stay clear of the stuff. Something or someone everywhere in everything can have a reaction to anything. Just like their are dogs allergic to the grass. I think it's crazy in all the years I sold frontline, I never thought of using it on a chicken but I have never had a mite or lice problem thank god!

Back
Top Bottom