Chick with bloody stool--HELP

TracyLK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
I have had my chicks for 2 weeks. My 3 week old Silkie just had a bloody stool for the first time. Her stool looked normal, but it was covered in blood. Could it be that she strained to go or is she sick? I have been giving them medicated feed. She has been eating, drinking, etc, but she is the tiniest of my chicks. This is my first time with chicks so any advice would be helpful.

I wouldn't worry unless it's constant. Maybe your chick ate a pine chip and was sharp inside. If your chick is acting normal and eating fine, I'm sure everything will be okay.

I had a chick that did this, nothing came of it. Good luck.

thats a problem i face too.The stool's normal but bloody,and i use newspaper not anything that could puncture the insides.but for some reason the bloody stool disappears over time and the chicks' stool seems normal,but after some time again I see bloody stool.could it be that they're getting relapses of some internal disease???

Coccdia will cause runny bloody stool, along with lethargic chicks. I do keep Sulmet on hand in case of an emergency, but I never used it. I heard it's pretty toxic medication. I would not treat unless it's an emergency.

My Cochin frizzle was the one with blood in the stool. She had it for about a day and a half. I have no idea what caused it. It happened a day or two after I brought her home. I figured it could of been stress related. My frizzle is doing awesome 4 weeks later!

You could take a stool sample to a vet whom treats chickens. I know it's hard not to stress out about this. Raising baby chicks is very stressful and worrisome.

Last edited:
Yay Chicks! :

Here's the infamous poop chart. It may help you identify what is going on and is certainly an eye opener to the wide range of "normal" poops as well: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

thanks.I've been worrying too much!!
tongue.png

The most common cause is coccidiosis in a chick that age and it can kill fairly quickly. Treating with Corid, which is concentrated amprolium, a thiamine blocker, is the best treatment. Sometimes, they shed a bit of intestinal lining, but that is not as bloody looking as cocci usually is.

Thank you for all the feedback. I have put the medicine in their water. If they are still eating, drinking, and acting normal do you think they will be okay or are we not in the clear yet?!

If you mean you are treating for coccidiosis, most of the meds (Corid, Sumlet, etc) need to be given for ten days regardless of the chick's behavior. Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestines, which can continue to grow while you aren't seeing symptoms and has become serious when you do see symptoms if you stop the meds too soon. Chicks that survive the infection will be immune to future infections. There is a video here about coccidiosis that is educational, though you may find it difficult to watch.

I have had my babies for about 2 weeks now they are three weeks old and today two of them started having blood in their stool one of them it is extremely bad and she hardly wants to move around my other one is getting around and moving around just fine but she has blood in her stool also I don't know what to do this is the first time I've ever had small baby chicks like this normally I have big chicken and none of my large hands have ever had this issue could someone please help me out I'm going to get them medicated feed today and start giving them that they've been on in all organic diet up until now

Back
Top Bottom