Buff Orpington Chick Tail

newrivergeorge

Hatching
Apr 19, 2024
Hello all!

First time chicken owner and I need some advice. Picked up some chicks this evening and the Biff Orpington chick’s tail is odd looking. I wiped it with a wet napkin thinking it may be stool, but nothing came off. Is this just in some way normal or is she sick?

Thanks in advance!

NRG

Attachments

• IMG_8754.jpeg
    IMG_8754.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 26
Look up pasty butt
That's Pasty Butt.

I agree.

Pasty Butt is when the chick has poop covering the vent (the opening where poop comes out), and dried in place. It needs to be cleaned off, because if it stays blocked up the chick cannot poop and will die.

In this case, it looks like the tail might be covered as well. A covered tail is probably not a major health issue, but the covered vent (opening just below the tail) definitely is a concern.

Cleaning it off will usually involve soaking it until the poop softens enough that you can get it off. Make sure the water is the right amount warm, so you do not burn the chick or chill it. You probably want the water right about body temperature. Of course you need to make sure the chick doesn't get water in it's beak as you work.

Once you finally get it clean, you need to get the chick dry-- maybe start with a towel, then either put it in a brooder that has a heat lamp (not a brooder plate for a wet chick), or use a hair dryer (be careful with the temperature, and with how hard it blows.)

Baby chicks are fragile, so you have to be careful the whole time. This can be time-consuming and stressful, but a chick that cannot poop will soon be a dead chick.

Back
Top Bottom