When do Wyandottes generally start laying?

Pics

BDF SL Wyandottes

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
My Golden and Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets are 14 weeks of age now and I was wondering if they are a early maturing breed and if they should start laying soon? Any information on the breed would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Wyandottes are pretty good layers but don't mature much earlier than most other breeds. You should expect them to lay anywhere from 18 to 22 weeks.
big_smile.png
Good luck with your chickens! Oh, and
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC. I am glad you came in with this question because I too have a young pullet and was wondering the same thing because I have never had a Wyandotte before. My silver girl will is about 18 weeks now and her comb is getting quite red now. It should be soon.

I have 2 silver laced wyandottes, that I got late spring of 2010. I purchased them from a private breeder, and hoped they would be laying by mid October, but they were 30 weeks old before they started laying. They may have been late due to the slowing of daylight hours, but they are excellent layers, and very nice hens.

mine are 14 weeks and I think that one of mine squatted. it kinda stooped down and kinda spread her wings out a little bit- just holding them away from her body. Is that squatting or was she just trying to stop me picking her up. It sounds quite early, which is why it may be her just not wanting me to pick her up..... but im not sure as this is my first time with chickens, so i don't know what squatting looks like. little help?

Back
Top Bottom