When do Ameraucanas start to lay?

Brittbee

Just clucking away
Premium Feather Member
May 17, 2021
Colorado
I have two true bbs ameraucana pullets who hatched on mothers day making them 20 weeks this Sunday. Knowing this breed is slower in maturing, I wanted to know when your ameraucana pullets began to lay.

20 weeks might be early for a true Ameraucana,
especially if you live in the northern hemisphere due to the ever shortening days.
I kind of figured with the research i've been doing, but I can't really find an average age that this breed tends to start laying. I figured the daylight is having an effect, and them being a may hatch. I guess I'm eager but know they can take 25-20 weeks.

It depends how many goodies you give them...

Ok, really, mine lay around 6 months old down here in Florida. Then they're consistent layers. A lot depends on light level, environment, lineage, nutrition (protein to finish the last growth spurt / juvenile molt as quickly as they can).

It depends how many goodies you give them...

Ok, really, mine lay around 6 months old down here in Florida. Then they're consistent layers. A lot depends on light level, environment, lineage, nutrition (protein to finish the last growth spurt / juvenile molt as quickly as they can).
I feed flock raiser so it's higher protein, and just feed back the shells or bsfl for calcium. Mine throw their beaks up at oyster shells so I do not try those anymore. I do not remember the lineage but I know they do come from quality lines (the breeder got their stock from a well known breeder in Texas and another location, I just can't remember the names from our conversation). I bought them for pets so I did not go too much into detail about the exact genetic lines. I'm hoping to have eggs by November but could winter postpone their lay until spring? Not a huge deal if so, they are pets first.

mine are 24 weeks old now and haven't shown signs of laying. The pullets are getting where if I put my hand on their backs they will submit but the combs are still more pink than red. Have you gotten eggs yet?

Back
Top Bottom