Buff Dewlap Toulouse

pete55

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi All

Well we're very pleased with our Dewlap Toulouse this year and have decided to run on 5 greys from our Holderread gander. They show the most promise with large size and good dewlap and keel development at 3 months old. From our other lines we're running on 4 ganders split for Buff and these are showing good development and potential. However I think the youngsters from the Holderread gander are superior for size and type as they appear to have inherited their father's type and size.

Here in the UK the Buff Dewlaps remain very rare and difficult to obtain with only a handful of breeders and I know of only one breeding sucess this year. We were therefore very excited when we got the chance to buy a trio of 3 year olds who have produced fertile eggs but no goslings reared. At the moment their feathering is a little rough but they are in the middle of the moult. They all show dewlap and keel development but appear underweight and really need to fill out a lot more. We've given them a quiet pen to themselves and immediately put them onto a high quality waterfowl growers pellet which has given us excellent results with our adult greys and goslings. The Buffs are settling in well after their first week and have readily taken to their new diet. This week they'll be wormed which should also help with weight gain and general condition. Hopefully within a couple of months they'll reach their potential and appear as different birds
fl.gif

It means next year we'll have quite a few different bloodlines to work with and we intend pairing our old Holderread gander to his best daughter and one of the buff females. We'll leave the pair of buffs together but also introduce a Holderread grey daughter who we're hoping will provide us with some high quality buff goslings. All very exciting and we're already planning our 2012 breeding season! Roll on Spring 2012 and Summer's not even over yet
cool.png

Pete
wink.png

80310_sdc14928.jpg

OUR NEW TRIO OF BUFF DEWLAPS

80310_sdc14933.jpg

OUR PLANNED MATING FOR 2012 WITH THE 3 MONTH OLD GREY FEMALE GOSLING

80310_sdc14920.jpg

BUFF DEWLAP TOULOUSE TRIO

The photo of the 3 month old grey female and the yearling buffs shows a dramatic size comparison! The young goose appears to be the same size as the older birds.

I can't locate waterfowl feed in my area so "doctor" the stuff available. What is the protein level of the waterfowl growers pellets that you feed your geese?

Your greys are beautiful, and I look forward to seeing how the new buffs develop.

Hi

The size difference is very obvious and the Buffs are actually 3 years old! The Grey Dewlap is a 3 month female and she has been bred from our Holderread Gander and a Canadian Line Goose. All their their offspring are very big this year and way ahead for size and type compared to some of our other goslings from different bloodlines. Thats why we've decided to pair this youngster to our Buff Gander in the hope we'll breed some large, high quality Buff goslings next Spring.

I think the size and quality has a lot to do with the bloodline but we are very pleased with the results that the feed gives us. We also use the same brand but as a 'Breeders Pellet' for the adults in late Winter and have good egg production, good fertility and hatchabiity. The other point is that the Dewlaps love it and eat very well. We've tried other cheaper brands and their appetites and condition just decreased. So I think its important that the feed appeals to them no matter how good the quality.

Here's the analysis and manufacturers details about the rearing pellets;

WATERBIRD GROWER PELLET (3mm)
This balanced ration continues to use a range of selected ingredients to ensure early growth and a smooth transition onto pellets.
Feed from 2/3 weeks to 16 weeks
Analysis: Protein 17.0% Oil 5.0% Fibre 3.5% Ash 6.75 Methionine 0.45%
Ingredients: Wheat, Hiprosoya, Wheatfeed, Fishmeal, Maizemeal, soya oil, Dicalcium phosphate, limestone, minerals and vitamins.

Pete
wink.png

Sorry, Pete, I misread the age of the buffs. At three years old they may be as big as they are going to get. Your breeding plan seems sound with that big grey.

The ingredient list and protein level of your feed looks good. I like the wheat base rather than corn, and the inclusion of fishmeal. I agree that genetics plays the larger role in developing big, beautiful toulouse.

Hi All

Well they new Buffs were all wormed this morning without too much upset and just caught them up one by one as they left their house this morning. We chose to use Panacur Paste and only a small amount required onto the back of their tongues and the job's done
smile.png
The paste works well as it sticks in the mouth and none lost through spitting it out. Now we've got the peace of mind knowing they've all taken the correct dose and any internal parasites should be eradicated. We'll do them again in the Autumn before the bad weather sets in.
smile.png
I chose the higher 'single' dose as I dont want to cause repeated stress catching them when their not yet in top condition.

We're hoping to improve their type and size by breeding with our Holderread line. Thenew Buffs are not too bad for size but breeding the Buff Gander to the very large Grey Holderread daughter should provide some nice Buff females to choose from next year.

To help establish the new line we'll mate one of the Buff females to our original Holderread Gander who consistently produces youngsters with his type and size. Obviously we wont get any Buffs from that mating but we're hoping to get some large, high quality sons that are split for Buff. It's probably going to be our last chance as the old Holderread male will be 9 years old next Spring and there's no chance of importing anymore
hmm.png

Pete
wink.png

80310_dewlux2011.jpg

Our old Holderread gander - Dewlux.

80310_sdc14983.jpg

The Buff Dewlaps are now starting to look a little better and have been wormed.

Last edited:
Hi All

The Buff Dewlaps are getting better and better. We've split the trio up and put one female with our Grey Holderread gander now. We've also left the Buff pair together with a 3 month old female Grey from our Holderread line. Now they've settled we've let them out of their pen during the day and they've managed to find the pond
smile.png

Here's a YouTube link of them;

Their appetites have improved and they're taking good quantities of a waterfowl growers pellet with access to ad lib grazing. They're are quickly regaining weight and general condition.
They've also all being wormed in the last week and that also appears to be making a big difference.

Pete
wink.png

80310_sdc14994.jpg

Buff female now paired to our Grey Holderread Gander.

80310_sdc14998.jpg

Buff Dewlap Toulouse trio.

Beautiful birds! Glad to hear they are doing well. I have a question that is slightly off topic - I hope you don't mind talking about the shipping a little. I'm assuming you shipped via airline carrier from the US to the UK. How long does it normally take? Did you have to get all kinds of permits and such? How long did THAT take?

Joni

Back
Top Bottom