How to make them SHUT UP!

elabraleon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver
My hens used to make noise. Not too much, just some. Now they are downright OBNOXIOUS! I am surrounded by neighbors and concerned that they will complain. Heck, I sure would!!!! One of the hens is the ring leader, she starts squawking and screaming at 6am!!! Then the others copy her. 4 of my hens are about a year old, 2 of them are about 5 months. They are all laying. The loudest offender is one of the 1 year old hens.

Today I put them back in their hutch and closed the hatch thinking that maybe they would "go back to bed" but they just screamed up a storm in there.

This is a serious problem and if you have suggestions as to how to solve this, please chime in.

I know others have the same problem too, and while I appreciate the sympathy, I would like to keep the responses to the topic of SOLUTIONS.

Thanks so much for your help!!

I think giving them treats to quiet them has made the problem WORSE!
roll.png
rant.gif

Hrm...

One of my two laying age hens tends to squawk in the AM... 8 or so. She seems to do this when the other hen is laying. Maybe she's protesting the occupation of her nest box?

I think your only 100% effective solution will be selling them...they are being chickens.
hu.gif
It's what they're SUPPOSED to do.

Do they squawk because they want out of their coop or run? Because that's the only time my girls get loud- when they want out! As soon as I open the door they are quiet again. If you think this is causing the issue you could install an automatic door that opens at 6am so your girls can get out and hopefully be quiet.

You can't stop their music!!! They are just greeting the day. Since the heat broke yesterday we slept with the bedroom windows open last nite. Yep, rooster crowing is a little louder with open windows.... 05:36 for our wake up call! Ya gotta love 'em!

Back
Top Bottom