my 10 wk old healthy red bourbon suddenly died. turkey help!!!

bthekingcrab

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
i've been raising chickens/ducks for 15+ years. this spring, i got 2 red bourbon turkeys and 3 geese to add to the flock.

turkeys: they have their own coop for the night and i let them roam during the day (i am home) & leave their coop open. they have their own food/water, which gets changed daily or every other day as needed. there are also numerous "community" waterers and feeders around the yard.

they have access to scratch grains during the day (and grass of course), but i keep chick feed in their feeder. i change all water on a daily basis, and just last week started adding 1-2 tsp chlorine bleach to the 5 gal big waters to deter the algae this time of year.

both turkeys hang out together, and prefer the company of the ducks/geese to the chickens, and kindof follow them around (but still do their own thing).

yesterday, the one started acting antisocial, and would go to the coop several times and just huddle in the corner. then the next minute he would be in the yard, pecking. SO. i knew he/she wasn't feeling well, but had no idea he would be dead this a.m. when i went to open the coop. i am devastated.

one was always a loud chirper, and the other silent. the remaining turkey is making no sound, but is moving his beak as to chirp. i have no idea which one this is, and if his loss of voice means he is sick too. i am clueless about turkeys!!!

i have never medicated any of my birds. no electrolyte solutions, no vitamins, no parasite medicines, etc. i do not use pesticides in my yard or around my house. only a few times in 15 years have i dusted my nesting boxes with seven dust if i suspect mites or lice on the chickens. i have never had spontaneous bird deaths other than by predators, and i consider myself a diligent and excellent free-range bird owner and my birds are healthy and productive.

there is always room for improvement and new things to learn, so i welcome any help or suggestions. i do NOT want to lose the second bird (who is acting fine but his poop is runny today), and i think i am going to segregate him in the "nursery" for observation.

the dead turkey was physically unremarkable. eyes clear, no nasal discharge, no messy vent, no physical injuries. the crop was not full or swollen.

i hope this was just mother nature, not something i did or failed to do! i will miss my pretty red bourbon and feel sorry for his lonely buddy.

Since it happened at the same time that you started adding chlorine to their waterers, I'd guess that you poisoned therm.

I occasionally treat my waterers with chlorine, but I add chlorine, allow them to soak and then pour it out. Then the waterers are rinsed thoroughly and allowed to sun dry to make sure all the chlorine is evaporated out.

Turkeys can be very sensitive to chemicals, so I would not treat their water with
chlorine... that is what probably killed the turkey.
I use Apple cider vinegar in all my birds waterers, it gives them needed vitamins plus since it is
acidic naturally limits algae growth. It won't keep the water as clean as chlorine, but then it
won't kill your turkeys.

i will start using apple cider vinegar! excellent idea. i read several sources that encouraged adding a small amount of chlorine to kill bacteria/parasites that can make birds sick, and since most "city" water has chlorine in it, i thought the levels of dilution would pose no problems for them. our water is from a well, so i knew i would not be "doubling up" by adding a couple teaspoons. i guess that was a couple too many for my little guy.

this year i have the biggest flock of all, and out of 50 birds, this is the first and hopefully only casualty. everyone else, including the other turkey, are doing well today.

thanks all, nice to join after lurking for so long!

Sorry for your loss bthekingcrab. I have 5 turkeys, 7 ducks and 20 chickens. They are approximately 14 weeks. They have separate quarters yet free range together. The turkeys tend to hang together same with the ducks keep in their group and chicks in their group. THE PAST WEEK OR TWO one of my turkeys came down with black runny poo. I also believe i have a chicken with the same black runny poo. All seem ok yet wonder if they are coming down with cocodia? I have given them vitamins and electrolytes since i brought them home from tsc farm store. I also have tried to fiber them up a bit with sunflower seeds added to their quality feed. I am scared i am going to loose my beautiful flocks if i dont start treating them with CORID (amprolium) 20% soluble powder Coccidiostat. I dont know how much to put in a gallon or 5 gallons of water since directions are for cows. ANYBODY have ideas, opinions to help me? Also i have read about putting vinegar in the water to acid their stomach and help heal the birds.?? Not sure about that idea. Another idea i have read was to change the diet for 3-5 days az such: 4# dried milk, 2# cornmeal, 2# oatmeal, 1# bran.
My email is [email protected]. my name Julie. Very much appreciate thoughts opinions asap.

The same thing happened to my Whiskey (red bourbon) yesterday! 10/12/16. 10/11/16 i went to put everyone to bed and i saw him layin in the corner, like a hen on a nest. I told my husband something was wrong, my husband said i was just a paranoid momma (he was my favorite). Went out 10-12-16 to let everyone out and he was still in the corner same way. I walked over to him and picked him up and looked him over no signs of distress, sickness, or anything. No runny dischage from nose, eyes were clean and clear, everything was perfect color, shiny pretty feathers, healthy solid turkey. He (and most of my other turkeys) is 4.5 months old almost 5 months. He was talkative and SO pretty, and i just loved him.

When i got home last night 10-12-16, my husband said he found him stiff as a board by the watering pond.

None of our birds have runny stool, him included. I dont know what happened. I am heartbroken.

They share a pen with chickens and ducks, but everyone is well fed, well cared for and the pen is 1/2 acre fenced off with fresh water with apple cidar vinegar added refreshed anywhere from daily to 2x a week depending on how low or dirty the water gets.

It wasnt blackhead as he showed no signs and none of them are wormy. We broyght home a young hen with the sniffles but she was secluded and treated and hasnt had sniffles in 3 days now. Any suggestions? Im at a loss and it devastates me to lose my pets!!!

I have read posts and articles and ive followed everything by the books and i still lost my baby! Its gut wrenching!

Back
Top Bottom