My 5 month old Jake all of a sudden died

Dhurstnc

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2022
We had let our 3 turkey babies out to roam in the yard. My jake turkey Gunther was walking around strutting with his feathers up. He was eating mealworms from my hand, walking around trying to get in a fight with my older Tom. I had realized my Jakes had hit maturity. All of a sudden his legs gave out and he couldn’t walk. My husband thought he had something in his feet. There was nothing. I was holding him trying to keep him up. It seemed like he started to seize. Then I thought he may have eaten a rock and it was stuck. I massaged his neck and crawl. He kept loosing consciousness. I tried for a while to recesitate him by giving him mouth to mouth while my husband compressed his chest. He died in my arms. It was the most brutal all of a sudden thing I could ever imagine could happen being a turkey mom. My vet thinks it could be a stroke or cardiac event. Has anyone else ever experienced such a thing? I have 2 turkeys left out of the same flock I purchased from Cackle Hatchery. Could I have prevented this? How can I prevent it for my remaining turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom