Turkey Poults Suddenly Dying

GarrettW

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
I had 7 - 2-week-old turkey poults. They were doing just fine, and then all of a sudden, 5 of them died this morning within 2 hours of each other, 1 died 2 hours later, and 1 is still alive. I feed them a 30% protein turkey starter from MFA. I did not medicate their water. I do however have a separate tub of 3-week-old chickens next to the turkeys. None of these birds have been outside so I don't think the chickens picked up anything that they transferred to the turkeys. My one remaining turkey poult is still very energetic; he does have slightly runny, yellow poop if that helps.

I had 7 - 2-week-old turkey poults. They were doing just fine, and then all of a sudden, 5 of them died this morning within 2 hours of each other, 1 died 2 hours later, and 1 is still alive. I feed them a 30% protein turkey starter from MFA. I did not medicate their water. I do however have a separate tub of 3-week-old chickens next to the turkeys. None of these birds have been outside so I don't think the chickens picked up anything that they transferred to the turkeys. My one remaining turkey poult is still very energetic; he does have slightly runny, yellow poop if that helps.
Not sure if this is it, but it is not advised to keep turkey and chicken chicks together for prolonged periods of time. Turkeys are extremely sensitive to chicken droppings, and the babies are very prone to catching an incurable disease known as Blackhead from them. Take the remaining poult away from any proximity to the chickens. That is my best bet, I don't really have any experience with turkey poults dying from this stuff. I think the most you can do now is hope for the best.

Not sure if this is it, but it is not advised to keep turkey and chicken chicks together for prolonged periods of time. Turkeys are extremely sensitive to chicken droppings, and the babies are very prone to catching an incurable disease known as Blackhead from them. Take the remaining poult away from any proximity to the chickens. That is my best bet, I don't really have any experience with turkey poults dying from this stuff. I think the most you can do now is hope for the best.
Brooding turkeys and chicken chicks together will not give the turkeys blackhead. That applies to older birds who free range on the same ground, only if blackhead exists in that area.

My first thought as I read this @GarrettW was did you recently change the heat lamp bulb? Some bulbs have a coating that puts off toxic gas. But it wouldn’t be fine for two weeks and then kill them. It would kill them right away.

I think @R2elk ‘s idea about cold water is much more likely. I’m very sorry for your loss. You can keep the remaining poult with your chicks until you can get it some more turkey friends. Keeping it with only chickens long term is not good for its mental health.

They were in separate brooders just in the same room.

I did that for the first few days, but I didn't know that I should've kept doing it. I've got more eggs in the incubator, hopefully I'll have better luck with them.

I came to search for advice regarding one of my poults. About 4 months old now at least, maybe a bit older. But I found him laying down under one of my enclosures outside. He’s been outdoors for awhile. It’s not extremely hot out today. Brought him in and he’s very tired. Droopy wings, no interest in eating/drinking independently and has the same yellow poo you said yours did. Nothing within their diet has changed. MFA protein feed, sunflower seeds.. My hens and tom(adults) and two other young turkeys I have all appear okay but now I’m afraid they may not be for long. I read about the “blackhead disease” and milkweed being poisonous (they free range) now I’m worried😞 trying to get the poult that’s inside to perk up and it’s looking grim

Back
Top Bottom