Ideal Poultry - High Mortality/Replacement Policy

Also, I asked for grit at the farmers union and the guys said that if I have mash then I don't need grit.
They are correct on this but if they do ingest anything else that wouldn't be a processed feed they can get impacted as grit is their only way to process/grind anything they ingest. Appropriately sized grit is always good to add right away as a preventative.

What type of soil do you have?
At this point, none. Just got 24" of snow last night. I can't even get to the store to grab anything either.

I just double sifted their mash to ensure there wasn't anything larger in there. And they're now in an empty brooder box. So, we will see how this goes. I need to do this for all of the chicks now, but the Narragansett are not having any of these issues. They're in the same shavings, feed, water, etc. and I'm wary of interrupting them when they all seem fine.

At this point, none. Just got 24" of snow last night. I can't even get to the store to grab anything either.

I just double sifted their mash to ensure there wasn't anything larger in there. And they're now in an empty brooder box. So, we will see how this goes. I need to do this for all of the chicks now, but the Narragansett are not having any of these issues. They're in the same shavings, feed, water, etc. and I'm wary of interrupting them when they all seem fine.
Shouldn't have any problems from them eating the mash. Can you just cover your chips up with something like an old towel in bottom of brooder for a day or so until they are eating and drinking well. A slippery floor isn't good for them either as it can cause leg issues.

Yes, a towel is a good idea. I can throw one down. I've already removed the pine shavings, but will add a towel now. I assume the 2 that are already showing signs of issues will probably not get better at this point?

Unfortunately, I am not knowledgable enough to know if it is or isn't. I felt around the crop and it felt a little squishy, but not full or empty?

I put a digital thermometer at the base of the brooder box and it reads anywhere from 91 - 96 degrees F throughout the day, so they don't seem to be too hot or too cold.
Do they have a large enough brooder that you have that heat in one area not the whole brooder? They need to be able to get away from that 91-96 into a much cooler area.

Do they have a large enough brooder that you have that heat in one area not the whole brooder? They need to be able to get away from that 91-96 into a much cooler area.
Yes, they're in larger boxes and only one lamp. The temps recorded here are just at the hottest location. The Narragansett typically quietly pile in a non-high heat location and quietly sleep. So, there are good temp locations around the brooder box

Yes, they're in larger boxes and only one lamp. The temps recorded here are just at the hottest location. The Narragansett typically quietly pile in a non-high heat location and quietly sleep. So, there are good temp locations around the brooder box
Good luck hopefully things will smooth out. I see your covered in snow, but if you have access to any type of very small gravel/rocks even some coarse sand would work as grit.

What an insane 3 days it has been! I posted not too long ago about mat heating in addition to the heat lamp. For background, I ordered 30 turkey poults from Ideal and there was an issue with an oncoming storm where the birds were in an unheated mail truck for several additional hours during the storm before they arrived at the post office on Thursday morning. 4 were deceased out of the order when it arrived and 2 died shortly after by the next morning (Friday morning). Also, less concerning, I realized I only got 29 birds as there was one missing from one of the breeds (does this typically happen with Ideal?).
Also looks like they didn't have the greatest ride getting to you, shipping stress is very hard on any hatchling sent in mail. Losses are not uncommon especially with unfavorable weather.

Back
Top Bottom