Could a defincency be causing poults to hatch like this?

Fluffy Lambs

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 10, 2021
The Hot State
I've had 2 turkey poults hatch with cataracts curled feet and this last one held it's neck like bent and kept flipping over if I put it on its feet it would flip on its back. The one a few weeks ago lived for like 5 days and then died and it didn't have the neck and flipping problem. The last one hatched last night and I just went ahead and culled it this morning but I have Narragansetts and 2 female black turkeys and both these chicks were black so I'm wondering if they had the same mom. My question is could some deficiency in the parents be causing this? They were on a 25% gamebird feed and we recently switched to the Kalmbach soy free feed. The first chick hatched before we switched. Thanks.

I've had 2 turkey poults hatch with cataracts curled feet and this last one held it's neck like bent and kept flipping over if I put it on its feet it would flip on its back. The one a few weeks ago lived for like 5 days and then died and it didn't have the neck and flipping problem. The last one hatched last night and I just went ahead and culled it this morning but I have Narragansetts and 2 female black turkeys and both these chicks were black so I'm wondering if they had the same mom. My question is could some deficiency in the parents be causing this? They were on a 25% gamebird feed and we recently switched to the Kalmbach soy free feed. The first chick hatched before we switched. Thanks.
Check the lysine, methionine and if possible, the niacin levels.

There is the possibility that it could be genetic.

I feed 20% protein all flock with free choice oyster shell and have no issues with my hatches.

You may want to read the thread about FOS.

Check the lysine, methionine and if possible, the niacin levels.

There is the possibility that it could be genetic.

I feed 20% protein all flock with free choice oyster shell and have no issues with my hatches.

You may want to read the thread about FOS.
Yes I was thinking maybe more genetic since there's a high chance the poults were full siblings. I will check the feed. Thank you for the link to that thread

In the Kalmbach feed-
Lysine 0.88%
Methionine 0.35%

I can't find any tags to the old feed here and on the website it's kind of confusing but I think this is correct-
Lysine 1.6%
Methionine 0.485 %

Back
Top Bottom