Best Heritage Breed for Meat?

I had 12 lb. Sweetgrass toms at 6 months old. The Recessive Slates that Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys sells are massive for a heritage variety.

I did not have leg issues when I raised BBW turkeys. They need to be started on a quality high protein turkey or game bird starter. I free ranged mine once they were old enough.

My toms dressed out in the high 20 lb. to mid 30 lb. range. Hens dressed out in the low 20 lb. range.

The huge difference with the BB turkeys is that they are not a hybrid and will breed true.
Ok so I got us 2 Broad Breasted White and 2 Broad Breasted Bronze today.
Starting them on the 30% gamebird starter because that's all I could get that's higher than 18 or 20%.

Is BB that you mentioned same as Broad Breasted Bronze that I got? Because it says due to their size they really cant mate.

A frequently cited taste test performed at Ayrshire Farm in Upperville, Virginia, in 2008 declared the Midget White the best tasting, with Bourbon Red second. Others have declared Bourbon Red best, but didn't include Midget White.

Ok so I got us 2 Broad Breasted White and 2 Broad Breasted Bronze today.
Starting them on the 30% gamebird starter because that's all I could get that's higher than 18 or 20%.

Is BB that you mentioned same as Broad Breasted Bronze that I got? Because it says due to their size they really cant mate.
The 30% protein game bird starter is what I use.

BB = broad breasted. BBB = Broad Breasted Bronze. BBW = Broad Breasted White.

Common misconception about the broad breasted turkeys not being able to mate naturally. Commercial hatcheries do use artificial insemination since it eliminates many problem areas.

If wanting to raise your own naturally, always use yearlings as your breeding stock. They are more limber and can do a better job doing what comes naturally. They can still end up with fertility problems and mating injuries.

They do need to be kept on a lower protein maintenance diet.

A frequently cited taste test performed at Ayrshire Farm in Upperville, Virginia, in 2008 declared the Midget White the best tasting, with Bourbon Red second. Others have declared Bourbon Red best, but didn't include Midget White.
My personal experience is that it doesn't matter which variety it is as long as they are fed the same diet.

@R2elk I think you're probably right, but faster-growing birds being less flavourful also makes sense. I doubt these taste-tests have been done with turkeys raised in identical conditions.

I would guess that if you free range them some the more active ones would end up tasting better. Depending on the available forage.

The 30% protein game bird starter is what I use.
Perfect then. lol
BB = broad breasted. BBB = Broad Breasted Bronze. BBW = Broad Breasted White.
Ok so I have 2 BBB and 2 BBW.
Common misconception about the broad breasted turkeys not being able to mate naturally. Commercial hatcheries do use artificial insemination since it eliminates many problem areas.
Oh Idt it was possible at all. Again thanks for that info. Might try that then.
If wanting to raise your own naturally, always use yearlings as your breeding stock. They are more limber and can do a better job doing what comes naturally. They can still end up with fertility problems and mating injuries.

They do need to be kept on a lower protein maintenance diet.
Ah the maintenance feed? Is 18% too high at maintenance?

@R2elk I think you're probably right, but faster-growing birds being less flavourful also makes sense. I doubt these taste-tests have been done with turkeys raised in identical conditions.

I would guess that if you free range them some the more active ones would end up tasting better. Depending on the available forage.
I raised BBWs under the same conditions that I now raise heritage turkeys. They were and are wonderful.

Free range is part of the equation.

Back
Top Bottom