Ideal Poultry - High Mortality/Replacement Policy

Hey, thanks for checking in. I was able to get to the store the day after the thread and get grit. But, we still lost significantly more in the week following this thread even with grit and removing the shavings. One of the poults that died was clearly 1/2 the size of the others. So, for some there was a failure to thrive situation. Others looked perfectly fine and then hours later I'd just find them dead in the box.

Of the 29 I ordered only 9 remain. Ideal refunded me the initial ones that died in the first 48 hours because they don't ship less than 20 turkey poults. But, significantly more than that amount died in the 1.5 weeks that came after that.

We have had a stable week thus far. I've not added back in any shavings, but was planning on doing so today. They are still indoors as we just got another snow storm.

I feel like there was a combination of events that led to this, including environment, weather, and hatchery issues since only 2 of the 3 breeds were affected. The Narragansett have remained perfectly fine throughout this whole ordeal and this really only affected the Bourbon Reds and Chocolate poults. I will never be ordering through Ideal or any hatchery via mail again.

Hey, thanks for checking in. I was able to get to the store the day after the thread and get grit. But, we still lost significantly more in the week following this thread even with grit and removing the shavings. One of the poults that died was clearly 1/2 the size of the others. So, for some there was a failure to thrive situation. Others looked perfectly fine and then hours later I'd just find them dead in the box.

Of the 29 I ordered only 9 remain. Ideal refunded me the initial ones that died in the first 48 hours because they don't ship less than 20 turkey poults. But, significantly more than that amount died in the 1.5 weeks that came after that.

We have had a stable week thus far. I've not added back in any shavings, but was planning on doing so today. They are still indoors as we just got another snow storm.

I feel like there was a combination of events that led to this, including environment, weather, and hatchery issues since only 2 of the 3 breeds were affected. The Narragansett have remained perfectly fine throughout this whole ordeal and this really only affected the Bourbon Reds and Chocolate poults. I will never be ordering through Ideal or any hatchery via mail again.
So sorry you went through this. Sounds like you've IDd the root cause. If you have a hatchery closer to you, I think you might be fine with shipment if you time it right with the weather on both end. Just got unlucky sounds like. Might also try shipped eggs. Sorry you had this awful experience. I think the weather was just bad luck.

Back
Top Bottom