Do Columbian Wyandotte's mature more slowly than other chicks?

jewel1

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Hi eveyone..

I'm new to chick ownership and I have 4 chicks of different breeds that I got at the same time. They are all approimately 2 1/2 weeks old. Three of the chicks (Amerucana, Black Australorp and Barred Rock) look about the same...with most of their peach fuzz replaced with small feathers, getting taller, wings starting to get more substantial, all have small tails, and tiny combs forming.

The other chick (Columbian Wyandotte) is smaller and still mainly fuzz...except for tiny winglets. No feathers on back, sides or head yet, and no tail feathers showing. She doesn't seem ill...but does seem to sleep more than the others when not buzzing around the brooder.

Is this slow feathering a trait of the breed, or do you think she might have a problem?

Any thoughts appreciated...and I can add pics if needed.

--Julie

I've never heard much about them but i have some chicks that still have their fuzz. Maybe it was the "runt" You don't have to worry, she or he will grow :)

Hi eveyone..

I'm new to chick ownership and I have 4 chicks of different breeds that I got at the same time. They are all approimately 2 1/2 weeks old. Three of the chicks (Amerucana, Black Australorp and Barred Rock) look about the same...with most of their peach fuzz replaced with small feathers, getting taller, wings starting to get more substantial, all have small tails, and tiny combs forming.

The other chick (Columbian Wyandotte) is smaller and still mainly fuzz...except for tiny winglets. No feathers on back, sides or head yet, and no tail feathers showing. She doesn't seem ill...but does seem to sleep more than the others when not buzzing around the brooder.

Is this slow feathering a trait of the breed, or do you think she might have a problem?

Any thoughts appreciated...and I can add pics if needed.

--Julie
So, my little "runt" is the yellow/grey one on the left. Two of her 'sisters' are on the right. She just seems way behind them in development. Hope she's okay!

Wow she does look younger. But I really don't think you should worry. Some of my chicks are maturing slower than others and some faster.

I just posted in someone else's thread who ironically asked the same question. I have a group of 8 chicks right now, my EE's are my fastest maturing chicks and they are nearly fully feathered out. My wyandottes still have 1/2 fuzz 1/2 feathers. I think they are slow to mature. They are also the smallest of the group.

Thanks to everyone for replying...it's made me feel much better that everything is on track.
smile.png

She still seems generally fine...so I guess there's nothing to be concerned about.

--Julie

I have a mix of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and EE's that are three weeks old. Looking at them, you would think the EE's are older, they're bigger and much more feathered out. At least in my group, the EE's mature faster.

I have 4 week olds (monday)..1 columbian, 2 silver laced, 2 buffs, 2speck sussex, 2 australorps.

As of right now, the australorps are the biggest, one speck and the columbian are the smallest in the group but do have more adult feathers vs baby fuzz.

Here's an update...

My pullets are a bit over 5 weeks old now, and the Wyandotte is still way behind in development. She's starting to grow some feathers...and has gotten tall, but still looks nothing like my other three, who have most of their feathers and can fly. Any reson to be concerned or should I just consider her a late bloomer?

--Julie

Back
Top Bottom