Whats the weirdest thing your chickens have eaten or tried to eat??

Kim95037

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2012
Morgan Hill California
It never ceases to amaze me what chickens will try to eat. Molly ate a small brass washer, Annie ate a screw, which has me pretty worried actually. So far shes fine. Shes my buff orp and also has an affinity for the stickers that come on the watermelon or any other piece of fruit for that matter. Molly stole a whole bagel right out of my hand one day. I heard a tapping sound from inside my house and I went outside and they were all picking and eating the ugly grey poupon colored paint off of the side of my house. The one that takes the cake tho, is when I busted all five of them picking off and eating pieces of some VINYL VENETIAN BLINDS that I had taken down and layed down in the corner of my yard for a weekend dump run because my cat from hell destroyed them.
barnie.gif
They were going to TOWN on these things. Even with all of the treats and goodies they get they never stop looking for new things to try. Needless to say I have to be super careful now what I leave laying around the yard.

Sounds normal to me. I sit there & watch these crazy birds all the time. They will pick up a tiny morsel of god No's what ten times & then finally swallow it. Its crazy. Then they swipe their beak a few times & off they go.

I was out watching the chickens ranging about and saw a shard of glass on the ground. thought that can't be good for chickens. Started to bend over to pick it up and one darted in from nowhere beat me to it and swallowed it. But the chicken still lives.

Big slimy gooey slugs. Gag.

Everyone be careful with the metals that your birds eat.
It may stay in the crop, and puncture it, or will make it down to the gizzard, and tumbled smooth, but metal poisoning is hard to treat.
It may be a good idea to get a big construction clean up magnet, and go thru their area with it.

Don't let them have access to styrofoam! They love to peck that stuff and will eat it. Mine ate a ton before I realized they could even get to it (in the garage) but they're fine. The sheet of styrofoam isn't though.

Big slimy gooey slugs. Gag.

Everyone be careful with the metals that your birds eat.
It may stay in the crop, and puncture it, or will make it down to the gizzard, and tumbled smooth, but metal poisoning is hard to treat.
It may be a good idea to get a big construction clean up magnet, and go thru their area with it.
Thats exactly what I need to do, Ive been thinking about that one for a while. I wonder if Home Depot has a big magnet.

Home Depot does have them. They're big magnets on poles (like a broom handle) usually near the roofing materials. They're made for cleaning up dropped nails and screws from a construction site, so they're perfect for this.

A live ten inch snake. She got it down too! Kinda like a plate of spaghetti that you have to beat into submission before you can swallow it.

They like to peel off the paper labels on a new waterer if one edge comes loose.

Then there's the perennial favorite - Styrofoam.

Back
Top Bottom