Impacted crop?

Sunny Potato

Chirping
Nov 28, 2023
Hello, I am new here. I have four chickens with different problems, but I'll explain them in different posts.
So this first one is what I think is an impacted crop, this chick is about 7 months old, she had been acting weird for two days, she was just staying in one spot and she wasn't eating, last night I checked her crop and it was small and felt like she has some food in it but it was kinda hard and as I felt it she opened her mouth, this morning i felt it and it was the same, we have all our chickens in their coop because its getting very cold out. They are in a fenced in section of our property, this is manly because we have a lot of predatory birds, my dad gets food scraps from his work and we feed them that, the food consists of all types of fruits and vegetables, bread, noodles, sometimes meat but we dont give them a lot because its salty, as of right now they dont have access to grass as it snowed a day ago so I dont think a long pice of grass got stuck in her crop, my best guess is a piece of straw got stuck, or plastic, time to time plastic and foam things will find its way into their run, I walk around in there and try to pick it up but they still eat it- it could be any of that, another thing her poop is white and green if you need to know.

Also heres a recent picture of her
IMG_20231128_101112151_HDR.jpg

Yeah shes in my House

Do they have acess to small stones or grit? Do they get any real chicken feed?
Here's some info on how to treat crop issues.https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dealing-with-common-chicken-issues.78224/

Do they have acess to small stones or grit? Do they get any real chicken feed?
Here's some info on how to treat crop issues.https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dealing-with-common-chicken-issues.78224/
She gets pellets, we fed her some egg as well.

I would stop feeding extras, and just offer chicken feed. It is perfectly balanced for their needs. You can occasionally offer a spoonful of something like scratch or scrambled egg. Make sure they have a container of poultry granite grit to help with digestion of foods other than chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom